Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will delphi made programs work on other computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaori

ISP
May 11, 2002
AU
Will programs made in delphi work on other computers that do not have delphi installed? I want to take a small game I made in delphi and use it on another computer. Is it this possible? If not then how can I make it possible?

Thanks in advance to those who reply =)

With delphi you make executable files, so they will work S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

In additional to what svanels mentioned, you'll also be able to create executable programs that can be recompiled to work on certain Linux distributions using Borland Kylix, which is a Linux "port" of Delphi.

I say "port" because there are some differences and caveats. Some of these are documented in the pre-sales literature available at and you'll probably want to review some of the matches from for more specific information.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

So would I need to copy the other image files and stuff as well as well as the main game file?
Thank you guys so much for replying to my first post! ^^

Yes, you'll need to include and additional dependencies, such as database files, external bitmaps, and so on.

A lot depends on the way you build your application.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Okay I'll try it out. Thank you for the help Footpad =)

Actually it depends, if you have put your images in
TimageLists you wont have to do that. Sounds can be put in
the Delphi resource files (.res) so they will be compiled
into your application. [bobafett] BobbaFet [bobafett]

Everyone has a right to my opinion.
E-mail me at caswegkamp@hotmail.com

Bobba
Did you know that the Delphi resource editor thingy dosent come with all versions of Delphi !
I have got one of my minions working on a resource editor/ compiler so we dont have to do all the mucking about required to produce .rec files, in the absence of the editor.
Other than that we just get the installer (now moved to INNO setup) to include the required sound files.

Steve..

Steve,

Question about INNOSetup having seen it raved about on these pages quite a few times. How is it superior to the Installshield included with Delphi? Ive just moved onto Delphi 6 and found the installer included to be easy to use and, more importantly, when being used to install software it actually looks good as opposed to version which was shipped with Delphi 5. The only gripe I have so far is that after making one install with the Delphi 6 version, I discovered that the install file had jumped from 12 meg under Delphi5 to a touch over 25 meg with Delphi6. Call me stupid but that seems to be one heck of a difference! How does INNOsetup compare?

Yes I have heard about this increase in file size. I belive it is somthing to do thie the latest version of Install Shield using the Windows installer as it's engine and thus all setups have to include code to make this work.
This is even the case for minimum sized applictions!! so a 450K appliction will end up at several Megs!!.

I took a bit of convincing about Inno myself, as It does entail some extra work making sure the scripts do what you want them to do (The included setup wizard WILL fall short of your requirements) in the end I have built a Delphi application to build the scripts as I want them My own Wizard I suppose, the end result is an install that does exactly what I want. The version of Installshield shiped with Delphi is a Limited edition there are some things you cannot do.
In my case it was a customised Registration page.
You do need to get the 'My Innosetup extensions' addition without this you cannot do Registry manipulation which was a must as far as I was concerned.
Other advantages, as well as being fully configurable AND free.
There is only One Output file. 'setup.exe'.
This is usually smaller than the total of the Install shield output for the same project.

Steve

>Will programs made in delphi work on other computers

Yes. Even if they run on parrafin. :)

ssgaunt,

Yes, I know that it doesnt come with all versions:
I used to have Delphi 3 Standard and now have Delphi 5
Enterprise at work (We whined long enough to get it ;-)).

I was aware that, but maybe he has a version that does
include it. You never know !!! :)
[bobafett] BobbaFet [bobafett]

Everyone has a right to my opinion.
E-mail me at caswegkamp@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back