Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will an integrated controller interfere with a PCI-x controller? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuartMillar

Technical User
Jul 6, 2004
GB
IBM xSeries 235 Xeon
Windows 2000 Server
6 x SCSI hdds
1 x DLT tape drive

Previously the server had 2 scsi hdds and an integrated Raid controller. Now it has a new raid controller in pci-x, 4 new scsi hdds and I haven't touched the integrated controller.

I have installed a new Adaptec Ultra320 SCSI raid controller in the pci-x slot in the server but can't seem to create more than one array.

I'm using the boot disc that came with the controller, which loads the linux gui serveRAID. I can see all the scsi hdds and the raid controller appears, as well as the old on-board controller.

The new controller shows all 6 hdds, and the old controller shows the tape drive.

Before serveRAID boots off CD, some raid information comes up saying the RAID status is invalid. But in serveRAID it shows the new controller so I assume it meant the old raid is now invalid.

When installing a RAID controller does the old controller need to be disabled? Is this migration and is it a dangerous procedure?

You're trying to use ServeRAID to control a non-IBM controller?

This is the IBM forum, for IBM products.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Sorry I mean't its an IBM card sold by Adaptec, its definitely IBM.

I think I have found the problem, it should be in slot 4 :/

Yep, they are slot specific.

Unfortunately, they tell you that in the instructions, but we don't need no stinking instructions do we?

;-)

heh so thats what the instruction manual is for!

Slot4 is a different shape to the card I have. The slot has 3 parts for the card to slot into, but the card only has 2 parts.

I have spoken to IBM technical support and apparently the card will fit into slot4, just into the 2 parts that it can. I hope they are right!

Slot 4 is a PCI-X slot. Not a problem, it's still PCI. A PCI-X will still work in a PCI slot as well. I'm building a server now with a RAIDCore card that is PCI-X, but it just goes into the PCI slot on the MB, no prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back