Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

will advanced server run on 64mb ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjf

Technical User
Jan 1, 2001
AU
As it says, just interested to know if it will actually install and run or am I wasting my time trying?

Hehe I did it at home so yes. However that 256 MB of ram this weekend is looking really sweet as the days go buy!
The Geek

Dont be afraid to share what you know. There are no losers in our arena, only self rightous monkeys atop their own tree.

As The Geek said, yes it'll run, but WHY, oh WHY would you even try that? 64 Meg Ram on 2k Adv. will run so poorly, it's not even a good test environment. You will only be able to run the base OS, and not much more than that without slowing down to 486/66 type speed. I wish you luck, as I fear the frustration you will probably encounter. If you run into problems, let me know, and I'll see if I can help.

Good Luck,
SteelDragon

I wouldn't even try it. I even had problems with 128Mb installed on a server. I couldn't get the Active Directory going. I couldn't even go on the internet from the server for more than 5 minutes. It was also drudgingly slow. Once I upgraded to 256, it went fine. Joseph Logan
Softsource, Inc.
Software Engineer
jlogan@softsource.net

I agree with Steeldragon & MrGeek
It runs on 64Meg (boot process is rather slow, but it runs...) Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

"Run" is a relative term - I would use "walk" instead...:)

:)
Yeah, well... it's a Microsoft product, and we all know that their definition of 'run' is looking pretty much the same as 'walk'... Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back