Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will a seagate 300gb sas with NETAPP firmware work on a perc5i

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamjonut7

Technical User
Jan 17, 2008
GB
Will a seagate 300gb sas with NETAPP firmware work on a perc5i card?
I have just bought an oem seagate drive from ebay and as soon as I initialise the drive it immediately rejects it as bad. I am just trying to rule out some of the possible causes before I send it back.
I don't have any other sas cards to test it on right now unfortunately so if anyone else has run into a similar issue I would be gratefull if your findings could be shared.
I have 5 more of these drives but they are all standard seagate firmware revision 002. The Netapp drive has 0001 stamped on it.

Thanks
Danny

Not sure of the firmware issue ....

You do realize raid adapters will fail a disk which can work flawlessly for years on a standard controller. A drive failed by a raid adpter may even pass drive diags on a standard adapter, with continuous testing for weeks, but fail on a raid adapter again and again.
Good chance this drive failed in a previous raid.

I have been using raids since 1990. NEVER purchase a used, re-certified or refurbished drive for use on raid adapters... unless you do not value your data.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back