Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

will a 430 watt PSU power a GeForce 9800 GT? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoldos

Technical User
Nov 5, 2008
US
I am interested in buying either this video card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT OC 1 gig which requires at least a 425 watt PSU, or this one Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT OC 512 megs which requires at least a 400 watt PSU.

I have a really nice 430 watt Antec TruePower 2.0 PSU. Which of these cards should I get? My other components are as follows:

ASUS A8N32-SLI MB
1 Western Digital 400 gig SATA HD
1 "Optiplex" SATA DVD Burner
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card

We can't really afford a bigger PSU. Thanks to all who reply! :)

Thanks! I also found this: Zotac 9800 GT for the same price but it looks like a nicer card (better heatsink, etc). It is an open box but I have the drivers and connectors etc. I think I'll get it, and I'm pretty sure my PSU will run it...

Yes it has two 17a +12v rails.

zoldos,
In Skip's recommendation, you notice he's referring to the Amp rating on the psu rails. This is an important spec to pay attention to (even more so than the number of watts). Most middle-of-the-road video cards require less than 15a when running at max load. So your psu should be able to handle most cards, but some will come close to pushing the limit.

This recent article will help you understand more about that. It even includes a nice little power-consumption chart listing popular video card models:

A lot of brand name power supplies these days have 33a lines or higher. This becomes especially important when running crossfire or SLI configurations.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Thank you for the informative reply! I'll check out the link. :)

it is going to be pretty borderline and a bit of a shame as the Nvidia GTX260 is just about within your budget but not your power supplies capability.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

I understand that. :) I am currently unemployed and I'm using money I didn't expect to get so it is needed for other things as well or I'd get a 700 watt PSU and the GTX 260. When I get a job I'll get it. For now we want something better than my 7900 GTX that will run newer games but not force us to get the new PSU....

I already have my eye on that PSU and the Zotac 9800 GT you linked to is the card we are getting. :) I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back