Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wildcard searching suddenly not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

DianeC

Technical User
Oct 2, 2003
CA
A form which has been working for years was recently upgraded from version 7 to 8. Searching function was working normally until we reformatted the drive and reinstalled Paradox. Now, the wildcard search only works if the wildcard is at the end. We cannot find an occurance within a name, which makes searching the database almost useless. For instance, to find "Metaline Graphics Ltd.", a search for ..graphics.. will not work, but Meta.. will.

Any ideas what's going on?

Oh, if I open a table directly and use the locate function it works fine. It's only within a form that it doesn't.

Thanks.

Have you applied the service packs for version 8? I would try that first.

Mac :)

"There are only 10 kinds of people in this world... those who understand binary and those who don't"

langley_mckelvy@cd4.co.harris.tx.us

Thanks for the suggestion. I could only find one service pack so I installed it, but it didn't help. It's the wierdest thing - the search won't work with wildcards anywhere but at the tail end of the search string.

Any other ideas?

First, make sure you re-booted after installing the service pack (the install doesn't require it, but it really does).

Does this happen using a Locate pushbutton, Ctl-Z, or both?

Mac :)

"There are only 10 kinds of people in this world... those who understand binary and those who don't"

langley_mckelvy@cd4.co.harris.tx.us

DianeC,

Out of curiosity, are you using setFilter() to limit the records in your form to a certain subset?

If you are using filters, are you searching a criteria field used to appy the filter?

Also, which version of Paradox 7 were you using, Paradox 7 for Windows 3.1 and Windows for Workgroups (aka Paradox 7.16) or Paradox 7 for Windows 95/NT (aka Paradox 7.32)?

-- Lance

I've done some more troubleshooting with this situation and seem to have narrowed it down to a problem with the table...but I don't know what to do about it.

Thinking it was a problem with Paradox 8, I went back to a different machine and experimented with Paradox 7 (3.1 for Workgroups). Using the old forms and queries with two separate sets of data (old and current), I have found the problem only occurs with one of the new tables. The other new tables are okay.

In my Company table, I cannot locate a company name with a wildcard unless the first few characters of the word are provided. And, I cannot locate using any of the other fields in that table. It is the same for both the locate button and Ctrl-Z. Using other screens in the form I can locate fields in any of the other tables with no problems using either a locate button or Ctrl-Z.

It I open the table itself the locate feature works fine.

I tried replacing the new Company table with the old one, but I get an error regarding indexing.

Oh, the one other thing I can't do is add a new Company via the form.

Any thoughts on how I might be able to correct this problem?

Problem solved by reindexing the tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back