Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WildCard Entries for SP parameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenninbe

Instructor
Jan 28, 2002
US
Is there an easy way to enter a wildcard for a Stored Procedure Parameter (int or nvarchar)?

I have the following params:
@CompanyID int,
@DateFrom datetime,
@DateTo datetime,
@VendorID int,
@SiteID nvarchar,
@ServiceTypeID int

and criteria:
HAVING SubUtilCurrent.ClientID = @CompanyID AND
SubUtilCurrent.VendorID = @VendorID AND
SubUtilCurrent.[Site Number] = @SiteID AND
SubUtilCurrent.ServiceTypeID = @ServiceTypeID

A lot of times I won't have a value to enter for the Vendor, SiteID and ServiceTypeID..... and I just want to see all records.

TIA!!

Beau

I've used this technique in where clauses before - I'm not sure if it'll work in a having clause or not, but you might try it:

HAVING
(@CompanyID IS NULL OR (SubUtilCurrent.ClientID = @CompanyID)) AND
(@VendorID IS NULL OR (SubUtilCurrent.VendorID = @VendorID)) AND
(@SiteID IS NULL OR (SubUtilCurrent.[Site Number] = @SiteID)) AND
(@ServiceTypeID IS NULL OR (SubUtilCurrent.ServiceTypeID = @ServiceTypeID))

If you supplied nulls for all the parameters, then you'd get back all the rows, or you could supply values for just the parameters you have (i.e. exec SP_NAME @CompanyID = null, @VendorID = 23, @SiteID = null, @ServiceTypeID = 2 )

I aggree with grahambo. This is a standard approach to this type of query. Some alternatives would be to use the CASE function or create dynamic SQL. grahambo's solution is far simpler and easier.

I recommend using the WHERE clause for selection criteria rather than HAVING. Having should only used to search for the results of aggregation. Where should be more efficient. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back