Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WiFi alongside ADSL??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkinson

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
GB
I am having ADSL installed at home and am looking to purchase a laptop to run alongside my PC (future server).

I have no cabling in place and although I originally was going to cable the shape of my house make it very awkward.

This is where wireless comes in. I would like to setup a wireless LAN and connect the LAN to my ADSL connection.

I've done a bit of research and figure I can purchase a WiFi/DSL router (such as the Netgear FM114P) which comes with a basic firewall installed and connect that to the ADSL socket and then install WiFi network cards into my computers.

Does this setup make sense? Would it work? I've looked at the netgear solution and am currently looking at the forthcoming solution with D-Link (DSL-604G) as they are able to provide 22Mbps speeds.

Could someone please advise me whether this is possible, what solutions are out there and if any has tried this already????

Any help would be great

Cheers

Yes, this will work. The router will connect directly to your DSL modem. I assume the router will have a built in switch. I would suggest not using wireless for the server. You can connect your desktop to one of the ethernet ports on the switch and connect your notebook wirelessly via a wireless NIC.

If you can afford it, go with 802.11a. You'll appreciate the improvement in transfer rates, especially if you will be doing a lot of large file transfers between computers. If you are simply browsing and downloading from the net, the 802.11b rates will suffice because your bottleneck will actually be your ISP. If you ever migrated from a 10Mbs to a 100Mbs network, you'll know what I mean.

Good luck.

With wireless it always pays to measure your house... ie in some houses (due to materials in the house) the radio signal won't get very far. This is especially the case with 802.11a.I would see if your reseller will let you try the wireless out with a 30 day money back garantuee.
Things that can influence the signal are metal (including lead based paint on the wall) water and microwave signals (specially for 802.11b) I have also heard of 802.11a not working very well when close to an airport (radar signals...)

enjoy!

Hardwire(cat5) your dsl connection to your router and your server. U se a LAN card in the laptop and I wouldn't do anything but 802.11b - - 10mbps is equal to about 7 T1's. Thats faster than anyone in the country at home short of Bill Gates and the White House.Stay away from D-link and use Netgear or Lynksys for soho.(thats been my findings)
You are on the right track.Have FUN

Mac MAXIMUM ACCESS, LLC.
North Louisiana's High Speed
Wireless Internet Service
318-728-8600 318-728-9600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back