Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wierdlooking printjobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradamus

Technical User
May 3, 2000
SE
I print from my SCO Openserver 5.0.5 to a printer on an NT server (lpd-service running). I ran rlpconf on the Sco machine which generated this printcap file.

printer:
:lp=:rm=[domainname of printserver]:rp=printer:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/printer
:mx#0:

My problem is that when I try printing anything using lp -d printer [file] the printouts are missing certain characters and replace them with an ascii-character similar to this one ╔

I´ve tried adding other values in printcap without success. I´ve also tried different variables to the lp command to see if there´s any change. Nothing has helped. I must get this going and I´m frustrated. Any help/hints are welcome. /Sören

Could you please let me know what version of NT you are using?

What type of printer?

Cheers

NT Server 4, SP6a

The printer is a Kyocera FS-680 (emulated as an Hp laserjet III). The printer is connected to an axis print server (axis 5600, firmware 6.01.control).
/Sören

We had a similar problem which I thought had been resolved by one of the many service packs.

We were printing to HP and Kyocera printers and were getting complete garbage.

You may want to try this.

In order to correctly pass formatted data from remote UNIX systems to the NT print queue the data type must be set to RAW. Both Windows NT 3.51 and NT 4.0 fail to do this and both need to have an additional Registry Parameter on the LPDSVC key. NT3.51 systems only needs an LPD Key added at the same level as and identical to the LPDSVC key.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to correct them. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.

1. Run Registry Editor (REGEDT32.EXE).
2. From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:
\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LPDSVC\Parameters
3. On the Edit menu, choose Add Value.
Add the following:-
Value Name: SimulatePassThrough
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 1
NOTE: The default value is 0, which informs LPD to assign datatypes according to the control commands.

Please let me know if this works.

Cheers

I´ve got a stuck print-job which makes me unable to print to that printer. I must reboot the unix-machine to print again. I´ve edited the registry on the NT-machine though, and I´m looking forward to test this out.
There is a huge Tipmaster vote for you if this works :)
I´ll let you know how it´s going as soon as the machine is restarted. /Sören

I´ve restarted the machine. The printjobs looks different now, to the better anyway. The fonts etc. looks like they should do.

It doesn´t seem to print 8bit character sets though.
It leaves out my country´s very importent å,ä and ö characters.

I´ve tried setting different character set conversions in the axis printserver. There´s some small changes on the print jobs but it never prints the å,ä,ö characters.

It seems like the character set is the little thing missing now.

What did the registry hack really do?
Why must the data type be set to RAW for instance. What does that do/mean?

Does anyone know where I can read about character sets and stuff like that?

Thanks for the help. Appreciated! /Sören

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back