Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wierd floppy drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

raindancer

Technical User
Jun 1, 2002
US
the floppy drive on my 5 moth old computer is acting wierd.I've only used it a couple of times and it seemed if it worked O.K.. Now when I put a floppy in it reads it as empty(blank), if I put somthing on the floppy it reads what I pit on it, but if I insert a new empty floppy it still reads what I put on the last floppy over and over. I tried to refresh it still reads whatever info I put on the first floppy.If i reboot it reads all floppys as empty(blank),even the one I just put info on.I am going to make a hard ware change and need the floppy for my promise controller drivers(Ihave a raid array) just in case I need to reformat. this seems like a windows problem but do I need a new floppy? heres the specs:
athlon xp 1900
asus a7v333 raid
2 maxtor 60 gigs in raid 0
windows xp w/service pack
geforce 3
soundblaster audigy
generic floppy
1 gig ddr2700 corsair
panisonic dvd
plextor cd-rw

On earlier systems under DOS this was a failure of the media change line in either the floppy or controller, or the cable. And teh solution was to log onto the drive and back out.
I suspect you could kick it in the right place by doing the same in a DOS window. I've not run into the problem lately, so I've no other solutions I've tested. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

thanx edfair, thats a little over my head though. Just to make sure I explained it correctly whatever is on the first floppy that I put into the drive after boot-up is what is read on all subsiquent floppys,unless I formate a floppy then all floppys read blank.Thanx again

Put a blank in. STart , programs, msdos, a:, dir, exit, look at the drive again.
Try this whenever you change floppies.
When you log onto the floppy (move to a: from C:) it forces a load of the directory into the operating system.

Or a t least it is supposed to. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back