Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Widows XP freeze/errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake511

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2010
US
Ok, so somewhere somehow antimalware doctor virus got onto my PC. I manually deleted most of it, but there seems to be a couple remnants left over. Here are my problems: can only start into SAFE w/ NETWORKING. when i start in normal mode it will either stay at the windows loading screen, or it will load up and in about 5 seconds will completely freeze before i can use the start menu. while in safe mode it will not let me go to antivirus websites nor will it let me download the latest of .NET FRAMEWORK it will tell me those websites are not available etc. it will not let me do system restore says it is against group policy, i am at my wits end, hopefully someone much smarter than myself will be able to help. thanks

Can you (if you haven't already) download this program and run that from Safe Mode with Networking?

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

That malware of yours fiddles with Proxy Server settings to prevent Internet access, these may need resetting (removing).

jake511,

Here's what I'd do if possible.

First, I'd use a USB a different computer - say the one you're typing from - and a USB flash/thumb drive for downloading the apps, and transferring them to the infected PC.

Then, try any of the following... in this case, also you may want to try a bootable CD/Thumb drive. One that works at least on occasion:

Then there are some other tools that may also help:
If you can get them to run, then I'd first go with:
Malwarebytes Antimalware (as mentioned by linney) then
SuperAntiSpyware

Then if you can't install those, then you might could just flat run one or both of these:
And
The latter used to be free only for scanning, but they are now advertising free scanning and removal... so if that's the case it could really help.

The latter suggestion does seem to find more false positives than the others... and DrWeb may as well... BUT they both run without installing, which helps defeat some of the malware/viruses out there.

If it seems you get rid of the mess with one/some of the above tools, then I'd personally suggest running these after for an optimal system:

If you are running WinXP (you didn't say), then you could also download RegScrubXP from
Then the following from Advanced System Care (skip the defrag portion if you do get Auslogics, as this one isn't as good nor necessary with auslogics.. in my opinion)
Glary Utilities
CCleaner (including the registry cleaner)
Auslogics Disk Defrag

Post back with what you do try, and whether anything makes a difference or not.... and try the initial scans in safe mode if possible, then scan again in normal mode after removing at least some of the baddies.

NOW I see you did say Windows XP.... not to metnion you posted in the WinXP forum. [blush]

So, definitely take a look at RegScrubXP. That's one app I really wish could be used in Vista/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back