Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Widescreen Projector - More help needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidbadger

Programmer
Aug 8, 2003
GB

Further to my post regarding creating a projector to run on a widescreen plasma (posted 08/08/03), I tested the movie on a 42" plasma in a shop.
Because the laptop (G4 Powerbook) uses mirroring, what you see on the laptop screen is what you get on the plasma screen, but due to the 16:9 ratio of the plasma, the image is squashed.
Do I need to fiddle with the Horiz/vert scaling of the plasma to make it fit? If not, how do I make it work?

Thank you!!!!

The first thing you should try is to change the plasma screen display settings to display only the central region of the computer screen without distorting. It's the best solution.

If there are no such a setting (basically, it's a bad plasma!) then you have two options.

(1) Prepare the movie in 1024 x 768 pre-stretched.
(2) Prepare the movie in 1024 x 576 then stretch the movie to 1024 x 768 on the fly.

Both options aren't ideal, as you will sacrifice the image quality in some degree. But it works.

It's all depends on the contents, but usually the second option will be easier to apply. To stretch the movie on the fly, place following code as a Movie Script:
Code:
--
on prepareMovie
  (the stage).drawRect = the desktopRectList[1]
  (the stage).rect = the desktopRectList[1]
end prepareMovie
--

The best solution is to set-up the powerbok to use a display resolution of 1600x900, 1360x768 or 1280x720.
this way the screen on the powerbook will look stretched vertically, but on the plasma it will look fine. Now just hope that the video-card of a powerbook supports 19:9 display....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back