Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIC Ethernet for 2610??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chatridge

MIS
Nov 14, 2002
US
I have a Cisco 2610 router. I currently have a t1 line going into a WIC 2T card. We have purchased an additional 1.5Mps cable line from a different ISP - which comes in on RJ-45 ethernet. What WIC card can I purchase for the second ethernet line. My ethernet0/0 is already in use as that is what my internal lan in plugged into. I have a WIC 1ENET card that I thought would work - but this is only compatible with the 1700 router. Any ideas would be helpful.

Oh dear, you are going to have to purchase a module with Ethernet ports in it. The WIC-1ENET is only for the 1700.

You need one of the following: -
NM-1CE1B 1-Port Channelized E1/ISDN-PRI Balanced Network Module £880 £1,548
NM-1CE1U 1-Port Channelized E1/ISDN-PRI Unbalanced Network Module £880 £1,548
NM-1CE1T1-PRI 1-Port Channelized E1/T1/ISDN-PRI Network Module £880 £1,548
NM-2CE1B 2-Port Channelized E1/ISDN-PRI Balanced Network Module £1,422 £2,501
NM-2CE1U 2-Port Channelized E1/ISDN-PRI Unbalanced Network Module £1,422 £2,501
NM-2CE1T1-PRI 2-Port Channelized E1/T1/ISDN-PRI Network Module £1,422 £2,501
NM-4E 4-Port Ethernet Network Module £1,354 £2,382
NM-1E 1-Port Ethernet Network Module £339 £595
NM-2FE
NM-2FE2W

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you want to save money cant you just plug both the inbound T1 cable (RJ45) and the LAN cable (RJ45) into a switch - and then plug the switch into the only ethernet interface on the 2610?

Depending on how your router is configured, wouldnt you theoretically be able to assign a "secondary" address to that ethernet interface to accomodate the additional line? I dont know anyone who would want to do it like that if they had a choice, but it would certainly save you money on purchasing additional hardware.

Just a thought...

Illegal,

If the ISP is a cable provider serving broadband T1 (Which according to the original post, it is) then you are correct. Using a switch could solve his problem.

Chatridge,
Is ordering another T-1 though a LEC and not a Cable provider not an option here? You do have another port on that WIC 2T that can be used right?

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

IllegaLoperation - to do what your suggesting I would need some sort of serial interface on the swtich to connect my T-1 to, correct? I have my t1 coming into my WIC-2T serial interface on S0/0 from a CSU/DSU. This traffic exits onto our LAN via E0/0. How could I bring the T-1 into a switch and then that switch into the 2610. It would work for the broadband connection, but not the T1. Correct me if I am wrong as I am new to this.

We have had our T1 with the same IP for several years now. They do experience periodic downtime. We purchased the broadband as a backup/failover in case our T1 goes down. I like the idea of having a line from two different providers - the broadband 1.5mb line was dirt cheap! I am going to direct my internal web traffic to the broadband circuit and my server traffic to the T1 using route-maps. We will have extended access-lists on each interface serving as our firewall. To me it would be easier to keep the two lines on seperate interfaces. Plus an additional NM-1E only costs $100 on ebay! ;) Do you think I am going about this correctly? Could you give me more detail on how this could be done using a switch? Yes I do have a Wic-2t on the 2610 - I hope to add a second T1 from that same provider when the time comes and we need 3mb giving us a 3mb "teamed" t1 and a broadband line as failover if the T1 provider goes down (I would have to shuffle IPs on my servers and contact the ISPs if failure did occur).

Thanks!!!

I apologize chatridge, as I didnt read your original post thoroughly. I thought you had TWO T1 lines, instead of a single T1 and a single cable broadband connection. I think that is where I confused you.

Regardless, my suggestion would still work. Leave your current T1 as it is. Take your two RJ45 connections (your LAN link and your 1.5Mbps cable broadband link), and plug them into a switch. Connect the switch to the ethernet interface on the router, and use the IP secondary command to integrate both links.

That is a cost effective solution - but hey if you can get a NM-1E for $100 bucks then I would have to say go for it. Like I said, I dont know anyone who would want to do it my way if they had the choice....but that option is always there for those who dont want to purchase additional hardware.

Hope that cleared things up....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back