Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIC-1ENET card not registering on 1720

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesch

Programmer
Jun 21, 2002
US
I have a CISCO 1720 router with a WIC-1DSU/T1 and a WIC-1ENET installed in the slots. I have tried each individually in each slot, and I have tried both cards in the router, and switched their position here as well. In all possible cases, The T1 card seems to be working--I can plug a T1 line in, and the LEDs show it is connected, and I can configure it as interface Serial0 inside the router. However, the ENET card does not seem to work. The LED lights, showing that it is installed properly, but when I plug an ethernet line into the card, the "link" light does not come on. Also, when I try to configure this interface, there is no interface Ethernet0. Even if i go into config t mode, and type int e0, it simply gives me an error message. When i do a show diag, the DSU/T1 card shows up in whichever slot it is in, but the ENET card shows up as "unknown". However, no error message was given when the router was started. I have IOS 12.2(12), and a processor that meets the qualifications for running the ENET card. Any help or comments on the situation would be much appreciated...is the card bad, or am I setting something up wrong? Thanks,
--Matt

I had the same problem. The issue is that the 1ENET card is not supported in your version of IOS. It is also not supported in any major release of IOS. The version of IOS that suports this card in a 1720 router is 12.1(5)YB1.
You'll need Cisco IOS file c1700-y-mz.121-5.YB1.bin.

Hope this helps.

Also, if I remember correctly, you can only put a WIC-1ENET in WIC0 slot of a 1720. That may have changed, but I beleive that was the case with the last several that I installed.

Matt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back