Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why won't negative metaballs work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Apr 13, 2005
CA
I,m using the bryce 5 handbook at school and am working with the metaballs. when i tried to use negative and positive ones, it worked the first time ( cutting it in half) but the second time i tried it would not work. now the negeative metaballs don't appear to be invisible. Also the book says that clicking shift and the metaball icon will make a negative metaball but it doesn't, ( had to go through attributes?

I didn't know you could make a negative metaball... are you sure it's possible? If so, what would you need it for anyway?

the negaative metaballs exist, go to attributes and are supposed to either create indentations or slice a positive metaball in half

What do you need to do with negative metaballs? If it still doesn't work you could find a workaround...

I found that on the readme (Located in the Bryce5 folder) it explains especifically that trees and metaballs can't be used in boolean operations.

There really couldn't be a plausable workaround for using negative and positive metaballs to form unique shapes and cut outs.

And yes, you can use negative metaballs; postive, negative or nuetral.

Quoting from "Bryce(R)5 Readme.txt" in the Bryce 5 folder:

[...]

* Application or file icons may appear as generic icons on the desktop under Windows NT.

* Trees and metaballs cannot be intersected with other objects for the purposes of Boolean rendering.

* Bryce 5 will not function installed on a UNIX partition under Mac OS X.

[...]

* Trees and metaballs cannot be intersected with other objects for the purposes of Boolean rendering."

this says it can't be done with other objects. For example, taking a positive metaball and trying to cut it in half with a negative cube would not work, but cutting it in half with a negative metaball would work.
At least, I'm pretty sure that's right. I'm at home right now, and I don't have a computer that could even run Bryce 5 here, otherwise I'd go try it out to make sure I'm right. I'll check tomorrow at school and post again if I was wrong.

Yes, but they work as simple spheres I believe?
Experiment and post a few screenshots if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back