Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why wont my Proliant ML350 auto-reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkHollings

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2003
GB
Hi

I have two Proliant ML350 G3 running Windows Server 2003. Both are also attached to a APC Smart-UPS SU200INET. One server is connected to the UPS via the smart signal cable and port and the other via basic signalling on the ap9607 interface expander.

The following problems are causing me a little unrest.

1. When there is a power failure the boxes both shutdown as expected, but only one auto reboots when the utility power returns, the other just sits with its amber light on waiting for someone to go and push the power button to make it go. Both boxes are of similar age. Have tried using poweroff options but the same thing still happens, just sits with the amber light on when the power comes back. Similarly this seems to happen with our two rather elderly Dell servers too, but I can't seem to find any BIOS setting that allows the servers to resume automatically when the power returns. Have tried various versions of shutdown.exe and psshutdown.exe but it still won't auto reboot.

2. Originally Powerchute was installed but it was so unstable, leading to several unplanned server reboots as connection between UPS and server was 'lost' intermittently and for no apparent reason, it had to be removed. We also fell victim to the outdated certificates problem which cost a weeks downtime, full system rebuild and loads of money!

We are now using apcupsd, which seems to be much more stable than powerchute, but still suffers from the automatic reboot problems even though a different version of shutdown.exe is called. It can be easily deployed to all the servers connected to the UPS without the need for extra expansion ports or cables.

Any ideas?

Mark

I don't know anything about the UPS you mention, but my first step would be to swap the two servers over and see if the problem stays with the server or with the UPS - at least that way it would give a clear starting point.

Just my tuppence worth

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back