Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why won't my dialup connection connect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPlank

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2003
GB
I've a wireless enabled laptop (an Advent 7039, running XP).

When the wireless network is unavailable I've set up a dialup connection to my ISP. The number for dialup is 08440575000 (verified by their website).

When I dial the number from a phone, it works. When I plug the line into the laptop, it doesn't.

I'm getting error 678: The remote computer does not respond.

As this is a constant error, I'm pretty sure that the ISP's dialup connection is not constantly broken, and their system status web page indicates no problems.

Where am I going wrong?

"Probably the only Test Analyst on Tek-Tips"

Remove the existing dial-up connection. There is a possibility that it is corrupt. By rebuilding the DUN connection you have removed that as a possible issue.

Seek from the notebook manufacturer, and/or the modem manufacturer web site to see if there is an update driver set for the modem. If so, download and expand the new driver set to a new folder.

Final step: use Device Manager and uninstall the modem device. Restart the notebook and let the New Hardware Wizard redetect the modem. Use the "Have disk" option to point to your new driver set if that was possible.

Restart again and test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back