Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

why won't IE let me use my ftp login script?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewebgeek

Technical User
Jan 8, 2001
US
okay here is where I'm at presently.
When a user logs in as anonymous, they are to enter "anonymous" in the user ID field, and their email address in the password field. However the "@" symbol in the email address seems to confuse IE, so I get an error message page.

So then I tried removing the password field, hoping that IE would do what Netscape does by prompting you for a password, no such luck.

the pass= window.escape(pass); command will prevent the error caused by the "@" symbol, but it does not capture the email address.

here are some pages that I am experimenting on
signin2.htm, and signin3.htm

Below is my code.

<!--
function enter()
{
user = document.frm.user.value;
pass = document.frm.pwd.value;
window.location = &quot;ftp://&quot;+user+&quot;:&quot;+pass+&quot;@phoenixsoftware.com/pub/&quot;;
pass= window.escape(pass);
}
//-->

why don't you just set up a guest account with the same priveledges as anonymous, and have them use that instead, just use a passwd that doesn't have a @ in it. adam@aauser.com

Done! Thanks! But now it is not working in Netscape 6. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back