Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluejay07

Programmer
Mar 9, 2007
CA
Hello all,

I've had a thought in my mind since Microsoft announced Windows 7. My question is why is it called Windows 7 as there have been more than 7 versions.

To my knowledge, here is a list of Windows OS:

1. 3.1
2. 95
3. 98
4. NT
5. 2000
6. XP
7. ME
8. Vista
9. 7

(Plus other releases such as Media Centre Editions)

The order may not be accurate; however as one can see, Windows 7 is not the seventh in the series.

Can anyone provide some insight to this simple question.

Thanks and have a great day.

It's not quite that linear...Due to different Windows versions (desktop, server, media, etc), the lines have progressed from Windows NT 3.0 using various OS numeric version identifiers and some of these version have friendly consumer names:

Code:
Windows Version   Product Name          RTM Build
NT 3.1            Windows NT 3.1        528
NT 3.5            Windows NT 3.5        807
NT 3.51           Windods NT 3.51       1057
NT 4.0            Windows NT 4.0        1381
NT 5.0            Windows 2000          2195
NT 5.1            Windows XP            2600
NT 5.2            Windows Server 2003   3790
NT 5.2            Windows XP (x64)      3790
NT 6.0            Windows Vista         6000
NT 7.0            Windows 7             7000

More Information Found Here:
=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
VB.NET Programmer

Thanks for the insight.
That seems to make more sense.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been wondering that.

>why is it called Windows 7

Because Vista SE would suffer the Vista stigma ...

But Windows 7 IS NOT a Windows Vista SE. You can see by the RTM numbers that it is a totally new version. Hence the 7000 build versus the 6000 build of Vista.

Granted, some of the items in Windows 7 are based on items in Windows Vista but Windows 7 more closely resembles Windows Server 2008 in functionality than it does Windows Vista.

People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
VB.NET Programmer

No, the kernel version is somewhat more important than the basic build bumber in this respect. And that of Windows 7 is 6.1, which is the same as the (R2) release of Windows Server 2008, which is simply a point increment on Vista at 6.0 (which is the same kernel version as the original release and SP1 of Windows Server 2008).

Thanks strongm. I stand corrected on this one. Windows 7 is kernel version 6.1

Robert L. Johnson III
VB.NET Programmer

Thank you both for your valued input.

It's more information than I had when I started this thread.

Window 1 and 2 - I ve not used

Windows 3 3.1 and 3.11 wfw were not NT based (16 bit FAT on top of DOS )

Windows 4 Server and pro business products

Windows 95 98 and Me were supposed to be home edition products and were Operating environments on top of DOS which was the Operating system .

Windows XP was Windows 5

Windows Vista was Windows 6

Windows 7 - is really Windows Vista (been fixed)
(open command prompt - ver = 6.1.7600 on my version)

They wanted to punt Windows away from teh Titanic that was Windows Vista.

Hope that clears that up :)

You can try Windows 1.0 and 2.11 from
1.0 will fit on a floppy (if you still have a floppy drive). 2.11 will just about fit on a floppy. They had a Mac like interface. If you want speed, it is amazing how quickly this one starts (but you mustn't have too much memory or disk otherwise the numbers go negative and it won't install).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back