Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why VoIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwmyers

Technical User
Oct 13, 2011
US
Management believes we should go VoIP. I must admit I am not a big proponent.
Could someone please provide reasons to go VoIP.
Also, reasons to not go VoIP.

Thanks in advance

I have been a phone tech for 34 years and I don't have a good answer for you. Your management doesn't have a clue other than they heard it's the cool thing to do. The advantages would be,

1. Less equipment to maintain
2. Wiring infrastructure would be less
3. IT could manage phone system, maybe
4. Less of a foot print for equipment

Disadvantages
1. Network goes down so do the phones
2. Network switches may need to be upgraded for Layer 3, QOS and POE
3. IT could manage phone system
4. Your out of a job

Find out their reasons why they think they need to go VoIP and make sure they are valid. Most people think it is going to be a lot cheaper as you will get rid of all your voice lines. That is not so in most cases and those you do get rid of you have to be replaced by building up your network. The big savings begin to shrink from that point of view.
One of the biggest bangs for the buck, if you have multiple locations, is that you can serve them all off one switch/PBX/Call Manager instead of multiple, which saves money on maintenance costs, one upgrade for all instead of multiple for each system and there are some savings in reducing your lines.
The biggest negative, as KCFL ... stated, if your network goes down, you lose everything. Also up front costs are relatively huge, unless you are dealing with a hybrid PBX or similar.
If you have a strong, robust network, with little to no downtime and a good network team to back you up, there should be no issues going to VoIP.
In most cases I have come across, the phone guy takes care of lines, cabling, the desk phones, moves etc, all things that most network guys do not want to do, so phone guys stay. you will end up doing most of the programming of phones, voice mail etc too. Most Avaya/Nortel PBX can be easily upgraded to VoIP saving a bunch of money on a new system. You can put new phones on all the desks, but most of the stuff you are familiar with is still in the closet.

Another disadvantage - even if you go with a Hybrid solution the backplane is IP so the MGCs go down if you have a local network failure and you lose communication with your digital phones (happened to us of course) and Call Center could not understand why their phones were not working.

Other than that, we have been on VOIP since 2008 and it has been mostly fine. I agree that the cost savings is not as much as what you would think and the upstart cost is high. You may be better to go with SIP for the added features (find me/follow me) as well as Nortel CS1000 line should be 'going away' around 2020 so you might as well spend the dollars on Avaya RED instead (OR CISCO, or whatever else you wanted to try).

Good luck in your endeavors.

--Tyson

There can be LD cost savings if you have LD costs between company sites, or if LD calls are routed to a host site with dedicated LD trunks.

There are some disadvantages with VoIP from the standpoint that many, if not most, data techs and engineers don't understand voice, and the reverse is true with telephony folks not understanding the data side. Mis-communication (when the term "switch" is used, is it referring to the data switch or PBX?), lack of communication (we upgraded the data switches and didn't think to let the telephony folks know), and lack of support from vendors (we are writing our own processes for upgrades and conversions), can create situations where "simple" projects and daily tasks become difficult to manage. Depending on the VoIP solution, selected, there can be a loss of many telephony features & applications - especially call center applications.

I agree with Trvlr1 that it is important to understand WHY management believes VoIP is a good idea. VoIP is currently a "sexy" technology, but most people have no idea why they want it.

Good luck!

There are advantage and disadvantage to everything. Without know your business and the driver I cannot provide reasonable answer to your question. However do not that stay status quo will hurt you and cost you more in the long run. Many of the disadvantage listed about can be overcome with planning, developing processes and training on the front end of your project. My recommendation is to do the following:

1. Gather Business Driver
2. Obtain Network Assessment
3. Review your staff skillset to support
4. Work with vendor to develop a Cost Benefit Analysis

Good Luck

VoIP (both within the company walls as well as for external connections) is mainstream, well-proven technology and the deployment-of-choice for most new installations. For existing customers, spanton has provided very thoughtful advice.

If you were a customer who was moving to new premises, then perhaps it's easier to go to IP. All the comments above are valid. If your phone system is doing what you want it to do and it's not causing you any grief, then stay with it.
I personally prefer working on TDM as we have more control.

When it's IP, you tend to find that problems can be tricky to resolve, unless you have a good working relationship with IT guys, who know their network. Nortel / Avaya does seem to have become very complex and although it's very feature rich, most customers tend to only require basic facilities and there are some other good phone systems around that will do it that aren't complex to run and install but also much cheaper and in today's climate this has to be considered.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back