Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why user logon server through BDC with 1st priority?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddypc

Technical User
Aug 30, 2006
CN
There are both pdc and bdc server on the network and have placed login script on both server. When I modify the login script about mapping network drive on PDC, user will not take effect on new map drive. Finally, I find client PC will use the login script on BDC server only. When I down the BDC server, client PC won't have any map drive too.

I would like to know why client PC go through BDC server with 1st priority?? How can I make PCs run login script through PDC server first? Thanks.

Sounds like your PDC is not actually working as a PDC correctly.

May be better to switch off your PDC for a while, and then go into server Manager, and promote your BDC to be a PDC.

Then ensure that everything is working (Drive mappings, printer mappings, etc.), but do not worry about things such as DHCP, WINS, DNS, as these are not essential for the purpose of this test. If need be set up your client PC with static ip addresses, just for the test.

Once this is working properly, re-introduce the old PDC to the domain. This will have the effect of trying to regain the PDC role, or demote itself to a BDC.

You can either remain with this situation with the machines reversed, (PDC being the BDC and the BDC as PDC) or then promote the "New"BDC to be PDC.

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back