Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why use 2 dhcp servers on same subnet and how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ei8ball

MIS
Jul 17, 2002
US
This is just for curiousity's sake. One of my colleagues and my senior wants to have DHCP running on both the W2K server for one scope of addresses and use the VPN router, which is tunneling back to our home office, for another scope. He is running DHCP in the home office and DHCP relay there to. Why would he run 2 DHCP servers from the same subnet (of only 10 usesrs I might add)? Which DHCP server would know to handle a request from a client?

Why is he running DHCP relay in the home office if he already has DHCP running in both the home office and the branch office? Is there a good reason for this?

What do you guys\gals think??? I'd love to hear your opinions please...

Thanks!!!!

Jason ;)

I utilize winNT and win2000 servers and I can see no reason to set up two dhcp servers within the same subnet. I believe this will cause some problems in address assignments. One DHCP on the same net should be fine if the servers are always in communication.

I utilize winNT and win2000 servers and I can see no reason to set up two dhcp servers within the same subnet. I believe this will cause some problems in address assignments. One DHCP on the same net should be fine if the servers are always in communication. But what do I know?

Sounds like your boss has two domains and is reserving two separate scopes. This tells me he has more then two types of masks. If he is using specific scopes then the machines request the lease from the broadcast sent on that segment. From what I see your network uses at least 13 IP address not including any Printers or Faxes etc. Route once; switch many

Nope. Just one Domain.

Jason You were born an original. Don't die a copy!

If you do 2 dhcp servers, make sure the scopes dont overlap for the addies they give out. From what I rem, even win2k doesnt sync dhcp entries.

As far as how which dhcp will know how to handle the request, its first come first serve when the client sends out a broadcast, which ever dhcp server answers the quickest will give out the dhcp addy.

Since its only 10 devices, maybe consider using permanent leases, then each dhcp server can have the same addy to give out the same client each time, no matter who responds first. Also this makes it easier to troubleshoot the client end, you already know who they are. (just dont replace the nic and expect it to work later since its bound to the mac addy.)

hope this helps

stoney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back