Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why two DLL versions in Deployment Package? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy0625

Instructor
Jan 9, 2001
US
I have a VB6 app that has evolved over a year or so, during which time I installed SP4. My app includes a couple of small Access databases connected to it via the Data Control. My problem is it now requires a number of .dll files in the deployment package that appear to be just updated versions of many .dlls already required, but the old ones are still needed, too! Most of these appear to be associated with the JET. An example is msjet40.dll which the Package & Deploy Wizard says must be included along with msjet35.dll (which has always been needed.) There are about 10 like this and my deployment package is much larger than it used to be. How can I eliminate the need for the old (or new) versions of these files? I've recompiled everything, but that doesn't help. I've tried deploying with just the older dll's (which used to work) and the app crashes with "Error 713: class not registered..." I would appreciate any help.

There may be some dependencies you and I aren't aware of between version 3.5 and v4.0 of the MSJet dll, and so you'd have to distribute both. It may also just be a policy of Microsoft's to ship the latest version of both, so that users will eventually end up with the latest versions of everything.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're still shipping on diskettes.

Chip H.

You can use regsvr32.exe to register or unregister DLL file
eg.register: regsvr32 "c:\windows\system\msjet35.dll"
unregister: regsvr32 /u "c:\windows\system\msjet35.dll"

mch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back