Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why throw a new exception rather than the one caught?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andegre

MIS
Oct 20, 2005
US

This article talks about throwing exceptions, but my question is why do they say to throw a new exception, of the same type, but with a different title(?)?

Why not just say:
Code:
catch (Exception ex)
{
   throw;
}

as opposed to:
Code:
catch (Exception ex)
{
    throw new Exception("my repetitive exception", ex);
}

Just curious...

you can use the new error to create a friendly error message for the end user and log the actual error some place else. I would take it one step farther though, and create a another subtype from Exception.
Code:
class FriendlyUserException : Exception
{
   public FriendlyUserException(string message, Exception actual)
   : base(message, actual)
}
Code:
try
{
}
catch(Exception e)
{
   throw new FriendlyUserException("Ouch, something went wrong.", e);
}

Jason Meckley
Programmer

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

To expand on jmeckly's answer, I often use custom exceptions that contain more details about the context the exception occurred in, so storing things like repository names/connection strings, current user, etc so that when they are caught, there's more infomation available to help you.

----------------------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
David W. Fenton said:
We could be confused in exactly the same way, but confusion might be like Nulls, and not comparable.

oharab, do you just output that information in a big string, or a datatable? That's a great idea but I'm trying to figure out how to make it work with our exception handling system.

We just write all of our exceptions to a table, and only save the message, stack trace, additional info, machine name, user....that's about it. I guess I could expand the message field and have that contain much more info after the regular message.

Depends what I'm doing & what logging is in place.
Generally I use log4net so I can change my logging needs on the fly.
Some systems log errors into a database, some just write everything to a text file, others email me when fatal errors occur. Using log4net lets me set these options as needed, so I only turn debug logging on when there's an issue I'm trying to fix, etc.

----------------------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
David W. Fenton said:
We could be confused in exactly the same way, but confusion might be like Nulls, and not comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back