Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why printer prints extra lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leejan

Instructor
Mar 1, 2004
MY
Dear all,

I have a problem here whereby when I print there are extra lines also being printed out. Before I start printing, I did a print preview from our system and these 'extra lines' are not there. These extra lines didn't come out oconsistently on each page but came out randomly.
The printer that prints these requests is a network printer. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks!

Do you print to this printer fine from everywhere else? Other 6000's?

If the same page with extra lines is printed twice, do the extra lines appear in the same place both times?

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L

Hello all,

hfaix, the printer is currently used for printing from only 1 RS6k machine.

RodKnowlton, the extra lines got printed on random pages, and random places too. But most of them are printed on the top part of the page.

Any indication?

BTW, under the fastpath of 'smit mkpq', there is one option 'To turn on debugging,...' What's the usage of this option??

And, do you know of any other time related parameter that can be defined on a printer (network printer) other than TIMEOUT??

leejan,

Often what seems random only appears so because we don't know the cause.

I'm not sure you answered my question, so I'll rephrase it. Forgive me if this is redundant. If you send one file to the printer twice, do the extra lines appear in different places for each printing?

Also, do the extra lines ever appear in the middle of a line, meaning that text that should print on one line suddenly stops and continues on the following line?

If the answer to both questions is "no", then what you're looking at might be wrapping caused by lines that are too wide for the printer.

You can check the text width of a file with this (all on one line at the command prompt):

Code:
awk 'BEGIN{maxlen=0}(length > maxlen){maxlen=length}END{print maxlen}' filename

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L

Be sure that the printer's attributes are set correctly. We use smit chdev and select the printer. Be sure that the "width" parameter is set to the desired width (132 chars) and you could play with "add NL and/or CR" attribs. Also, if any data going to the printer is longer than the max width the print model may WRAP the line (including spaces) which would appear as extra lines.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back