Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why pictures so fuzzy? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darzza

Technical User
Mar 31, 2005
GB
Hi.

Ok - I really like ID (just playing on the free demo) but, I've imported a PM document - about 20 pages long, 2 layers. Lots of pictures and tables and have came a bit stuck!

Table seem to be fine - but my pictures and drawings (JPEGs) all seem to be really fuzzy. These were all played with in PainShop Pro before they were 'placed' into PageMaker.

Any ideas?

How is the best way to sort it out? - Please don't say take them out and re-insert them into InDesign - there are 1000's of them across all our PM files, that we intend converting to InDesign.

Cheers,

P
T
Darzza

'Try fail, try again fail better....'

Images should be linked, not embedded. Go to the links palette to update links or create new ones. InDesign allows you to update multiple links at once if you select all links in the palette and then click on the update button.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

If you still have display problems, try adjusting your view settings.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

View menu/Display Performance/High Quality.

On a machine without lots and lots of RAM and a not so great graphics card, this will slow down performance on a large doc with lots of pics. That is why you're given the choice of Typical & Optimized - giving lesser quality on the screen (and only the screen) and freeing up memory resources on teh computer.

I'm surprised that it's jpeg instead of tiff, which is more "sure' for print output.

HI

For some reason - it will not let me just click the update button. I could go through and re-link all of them but that would take years. It is strange as there is actually only one of the digital picture images that looks fuzzy (is the biggest picture by far), all the others look fine.

The main problem is the images of drawings. These were crated in Pro Eng, were sent to me as .eps files, I then changed them quite a bit with the eraser tool and saved them as jpeg's - we then placed them into PM and they look fine.

However in ID - hey look fuzzy - and here seem to be a lot of think black lines (these seem to be where I did the erasing in PainShop Pro)

PS – I did try to change the display settings, and it does improve slightly but still fuzzy.

If that makes any sense..... thanks very much for your help on this.

P
T
Darzza

I'm guessing - not sure - the the eps images were created in a vector CAD app. When you opened them in Paintshop you rasterized them. The resolution is unknown. Generally when you work with drawings in a raster app, you run it at 600-1200 dpi then save back to either eps or tiff. If you had been using photoshop, you could have placed the ps image directly in the ID doc.

You're generally better opening eps generated from a vector in a vector app like Illustrator or Freehand so you won't be stuck with rasters.

If you were to place the original eps in the Id doc, it would probably be fine.

It's always best to plce images in a file - or maintain the onew from an imported filed and modify them through by going through the links window so ID makesa record of the mod and marks the link for as modified. You can select ALL modified links at once, and Update Link to update all at once.

You cannot expect to just pick this all up in one fell swoop, unless you're used to working with layout app - they're all somewhat similar. You're going to have to go the ID Help/Contents and go through them. It might be best to print them as necessary.

It is normal for images in ID to appear fuzzy even when placed/linked. They serve more as placeholders than an actual view of what will print; it's not WYSIWYG (the manuals also confirm that).

When converting from PM to ID, some images print fine, and some may print fuzzy. Just click on those and re-place the image.

Hi. I'm well familiar with this. Save your images as pdf files (or wmf files) and then do a file > place. In Design does NOT support OLE objects. But when an individual file is PDF'd and then placed, the transfer is beautiful.

Because yours is quite a large file? View them - at least more clearly - by going to Edit > Preferences > Display Performance > Default View > High Quality.

Good luck!

Sarcazmo

Have you tried using overprint preview? It shows all graphics at the best level of quality, HOWEVER: if you have a lot of graphics it will slow your machine down 10 fold.

Select View > Overprint Preview

Thanks very much for your help people.

P
T
Darzza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back