Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why Opera over Netscape? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbexpress

MIS
Apr 26, 2000
US
I have little experience with browsers outside of Netscape and Internet Explorer. What it the benefit/drawback of using Opera browser?

Java script doesn't show up to well, but other than that it is actually not to bad. <p>Sherwin B. Seed<br><a href=mailto:s_seed@hotmail.com>s_seed@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= Kingdom</a><br>I am starting my own business called SMAN Sales & Service. you can check out our products at this is a temporary business site untill we get our full scale website up. if there is not much on this website it is becouse we ar

1) Speed
2) Security
3) Specifications

For me this is the best browser of the lot.

I did not believe this either, but if you open three seperate windows in Opera, at the same time you can download files in all three windows! It does not crash, it just works.

1) Speed
2) Security

These are the two main draws

Being able to download from seperate multiple sites files at the same time and it just works is another plus point

In my experience Opera is faster than both IE and Netscape. Not only that, but I am able to download 2 or more files simultaneously in Opera, without problems. If I am disconnected Opera allows me to resume the download without having to start all over again.

I also have less &quot;crashes&quot; running Opera than with either IE or Netscape.

The only problem I have encountered is that while Opera V4.02 handles &quot;javascript&quot; with ease, the latest version, Opera V5.01, will not allow a number of javascript sections to run (seemingly mostly related to passwords)

To get around this I have both Opera V4.02 &amp; V5.01 installed and run V4.02 if I know I will need to.

On top of that, you have a relatively small progamme which is not &quot;bloatware&quot;. I hope I never need to change. CS

The certificate will expire or some other 'thing' will happen, I'm sure. I just installed Opera 5 today. Like it, but got really used to Ie and the fillins and cookies stuff. Kind of a pain having to enter your own username and password. Seems pretty good so far, at least it's fast loading. I have heard there are a few websites that do not display correctly. But then, I'm using my host file to filter ads and heard that that may screw Opera up also, as I'm using the free version and have to deal with ads.
Need more sites like this one where your userid and password can be stored in the bookmark.

PhiloVance
Other hobbies, interests: Travel, Model RR (HO Gauge), Genealogy.

I have more &quot;crashes&quot; running Opera. If I use it longer, it will freeze and then crash. Also on 3rd sub-windows wont run Java script.. it didnt work.

CPU: 128mb ram
Opera:Version
Build
Platform
Win32
System
Windows 98

Java
Sun Java Runtime Environment 1.3

I use Opera 2 Months. Opera runs perfectly, has best Print Preview; Opera is small and fast.

I also use Lynx. Text browsing is adventure.

Otherwise, I had some problems with Communucator and IE.

Jesus is Lord.

KP.

I've been using Opera 5 only about two days and have lots of problems with system freezes. And I mean freeze-everything stops.... I have to shut off the computer, not just ctrl-alt-del to close the task. I noticed other users who could perform multiple downloads and wondered if they had any tips about the freezing problem.

The thing is, I really like Opera: the way it handles emails and multiple sites, so I'd hate to have to go back to Netscape, or worse, IE

Amarina,

I also have freeze-ups, however only on some sites, and not all that many and I use Eudora for email.

So whilst it is a nuisance when it freezes and needs rebooting, I can put up with it.

ALSO don't forget 5.02 is BETA, not finished version! Steve Butterworth

Rome took longer than a day to built.

Amarina,

If you really have to visit a website that Opera locks up on, don't resort to Netscape or MSIE, you can also use SUN Star Office, which has also an excellent browser built in. Steve Butterworth

Rome took longer than a day to build.

I downloaded the latest version 5.1 it is a lot improved. It still crashes, in fact it crashed when I wanted to access TEK-TIPS! However it does now let me have access to the financial sites that were locking up all the time before, so there is definite improvement.

98% OPERA and 2% Sun Star Office Browser now. MSIE and Netscape banished into oblivion, so they can go fight their browser wars. It is so nice to have choices.

I like Opera and Star Office. They are not bloated, and they are both fast. Steve Butterworth

Rome took longer than a day to build.

Opera Opera Opera
that's my only choice

for every 10 times i use:
IE - freeze/hang/bosd 5 to 8 times
Netscape - freeze/hang/bosd 1 to 4 times
Opera - only illegal operation 0 to 1 times

so, the winner is obvious.

opera doesn't work very well with javascript and java and i think DHTML too.

V6 Opera now, and no crashes! No sites I cannot get onto either.

So I agree it is now OPERA all the way. Steve Butterworth

>I did not believe this either,
>but if you open three seperate windows

lol. I stumbled onto this thread from a Google seek and find mission. I currently have 27windows open with search results showing.

yup Opera 6, cool :) ----------------------------------------
There's no good nor evil, it's all in the mind.

I've used Netscape 4.08 as my main browser for years, with IE5/5+ as a backup when a few sites didn't work. I'd seen Opera listed on some free/shareware magazine disks, but thought it must be lacking over the 'big two' in most features - faster but still Don Quiote, I figured.

I had one too many arguments with IE5/5+, Netscape 6.1 proved cumbersome and my old faithful NS 4.08 was carelessly losing its preferences DLL and also going to 'sleep' on me too often despite re-installs. So I installed Opera 5, then when that worked OK, I upgraded to 6 Beta.

Netscape's no longer installed and IE5+ is there just as an infrequent backup when some site doesn't work - often it's the website. Opera (even in beta form) is so stable and fast on my old overclocked PII 266 that I can't believe I stuck with those other uninnovative browsers for so long. The features and options apparently introduced by Opera are a revelation to my browsing experience. Why the big two didn't offer some of these relatively simple features way back baffles me. EG: Quickly lockout Pop-Ups! :)

I thoroughly recommend it - especially to users who are slightly unhappy with their present IE or Netscape browser.

so again it's Opera (^_^) ----------------------------------------
There's no good nor evil, it's all in the mind.

Opera crashes about once an hour. Otherwise great product. Has anyone dealt with this problem? I'm using windows 98, IBM Aptiva AMD K6, 366 Mz, recently reinstalled Win98 because of meltdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back