Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why my monitor is not showing a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
Some background on most recent events:
I removed my CPU cooler, and the CPU came off along with the cooler. I did put it back.
I unscrewed the tiny cooler fan. Then I screwed it back.
That's all.

I already replaced the monitor, and tried both my graphics card, and the on-board graphics. Neither of these made a difference. The monitor still says "No signal".

What should be my next thing to test?

Thanks guys :)

After a closer look I noticed that indeed a couple pins were a tad bent. Moreover, I realized that I had not used the little lever to secure the CPU previous time, so I'm not even sure how it was working like that on the 1st place.
Then to make matters worst, when I put it back, I just assumed that it was sitting ok (while it was not), and went ahead and used the lever on the cooler, which as you know, puts a tremendous physical pressure on the CPU (to keep it in place while having most possible contact). Either way, no doubt I ruined the CPU, and chances are, the CPU socket in the motherboard.
Nevertheless, I did proceed as if there was a chance, placed the CPU the best I could (while the socket's lever was up), then closed the lever. Cleaned the old thermal paste, put some new one, placed the clean cooler back. And started the pc. Same situation.
What sucks too, is that I don't have another CPU to check if the socket is ok, or not. And I'm certainly not going to buy another CPU just to find out that the socket IS ruined too.
I guess this pc is good for parts now :(

What CPU is it, and what slot type?
There may be more options.

Best Regards,
Scott
MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

I would imagine that the pins on the processor are hosed but NOT the female slots on the motherboard. Do you have a strong magnifying glass to look into the holes to make sure no pins are left in the motherboard?

If you can confirm that, I would take a chance and maybe buy a processor off Ebay, maybe a lower grade processor to reduce your cost and just get it working. Then maybe dump the PC off to a relative or something if you really needed the faster processor.

It's all a bit of a gamble though. Major screw up!!! Major pain!! I do feel for you having had many "stupid mistake" moments in my computer building history.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Scott,
Scott24x7 said:
What CPU is it, and what slot type?

CPU AMD Phenom II x3 710, socket AM3
micro ATX motherboard: MSI 760GMA-P34

goombawaho,

goombawaho said:
...but NOT the female slots on the motherboard.
This is encouraging!
I found some AMD Phenom II CPUs at Newegg between $43 and $173.
I suppose I could start by getting the $43 CPU just to check if the female slots are ok.

Sounds like you found a test case.
Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards,
Scott
MIET, MASHRAE, CDCP, CDCS, CDCE, CTDC, CTIA, ATS

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

Good news!
I found someone selling an ATX motherboard, with a CPU and ram for only $140 CAN !!

Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 (socket AM3)
AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955 (3.2ghz quad core)
RAM 8Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 (4x2Gb)

This will allow me to use my larger graphics card that I was not able to use before with the micro ATX motherboard.
All I have to do to regain my operating systems is plug the HDs!
Plus, it's a pretty good deal I think. Isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back