Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why move to win2K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMedz

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2000
PH
Hi TechFriends!
Im in the middle of justfying to my CEO on why do we
need to moved from Win NT4 to Win2K.....
Anybody can give me a line here is greatly appreciated.
Tnks!

What are your current NT servers doing? What kind of services or applications are they running? Tell me about your servers and I'll give you a good recommendation on what to do.

ChrisP
MCSE (2K/NT4), CNE (NW5), CCNA, Linux+, Server+, i-Net+, Network+, A+, CIW Associate

NT4 servers are use for logging-in to the networks and used for file servers and some servers are hosting domino servers and SQL. My company has presence almost across the globe so if Win2K has an advantage for WAN monitoring over NT4 it will surely give a PLUS.
awaiting for your reply, tnks!

-AMedz-

A very real consideration is that in July of this year, NT4 Server will no longer be available through resellers and OEM's. In January of 2003, NT 4.0 Microsoft will begin charging for NT 4.0 hotfixes. Essentially, support for the product will start to be phased out, understandably so given that it is now 7 years old and getting a tad long in the tooth.

Have you considered Linux or Unix to run the Domino servers? You save a lot of money from not having to buy licenses and you will be on a more stable platform.

As for the file servers, I would go with NetWare 6. Novell makes the best file servers and Novell's new licensing system is very good. You can buy 1 NetWare server license and install NetWare on as many servers as you want with the 1 license. Not bad, eh? All you have to do is buy 1 CAL for each user. This is obviously much cheaper than upgrading to Win2K and you will be on a faster and more reliable server.

As for SQL, you have to stick with Windows. If you plan to stay with Windows, then you will eventually have to upgrade and pay M$ dearly in licensing fees.

ChrisP

Here are some of the things I found appealing. You're able to configure sites in 2000. If you specify that there's a slow link between these sights, DC to DC traffic will be compressed by a rate of almost 10:1. This makes it easier to implement a single domain over multiple locations where bandwidth usage and chatter is a concern.

2000 is more stable than NT 4.

You can use Remote Installation Services to quickly roll out workstations, and use Group Policies to quickly roll out applications to certain machines, or certain users, all from your Domain controllers. Marc Creviere

Fluid,
I agree with you if cost efficiency is concern, the problem is we got regional directives and we just can't phase-out Windows and i already seen domino perform on top of linux and it's faster than sittin' on windows, it's task starts much faster and the most important of it all it's free!..... Thanks for your inputs!

Jaedy & Filthpig,
Thanks for your valuable inputs hopefully this will make way
for my justifications.....

-AMedz-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back