Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why might an email be stuck in the SMTP queue (using relay internally)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mskennicutt

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2002
US
I have an Exchange 2003 server set up to allow 5 specific internal IP's to use relay (othewise it is disabled) because they wanted to be able to use the Exchange server as their SMTP when sending email from their personal/home email accounts (sending of course from their office computers). The reason I allowed this is because our ISP's SMTP goes down rather often and it is annoying. Anyway, I just set this up and on the first try, the email seemed to go out just fine, but the test never reached the recipient. When I checked the queue (there was a new queue created for the user's domain, comcast.net) there was the message just sitting there.

Why would the exchange server be waiting to send out that email? We have a very small shop so the SMTP virtual server is virtually never busy and right now it is not at all busy.

Is there a way to increase the priority of these 'relayed' emails? Or is it just stuck possibly?

++++++ADDENDUM+++++++

As I was typing this I just looked again and noticed that the state had changed from "active" to "retry"... does that mean that the recipient email server is rejecting it for some reason? The user hasn't recieved any delivery failure notifications as of yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back