Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why Mandriva 2010 cannot detect ATA disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwire

Technical User
Jul 31, 2014
CZ
Originally I had disks in my old PC, where I used one SATA disk with Mandriva 2010 and second ATA disk with Windows. Later I added Mandriva 2010 on the ATA too. There was no problem with booting. Mandriva detected the ATA disk with no problem. Then I bought a PC. The M/B of the new PC supports this configuration:
channel 0 master: reserved for IDE disks
channel 0 slave: reserved for IDE disks
channel 1: master: reserved for IDE or SATA disks
channel 1: slave: reserved for IDE or SATA disks
channel 2: master: reserved for IDE or SATA disks
channel 2: slave: reserved for IDE or SATA disks
channel 3: master: reserved for IDE or SATA disks
channel 3: slave: reserved for IDE or SATA disks

I installed the IDE disk without jumper and the BIOS detect this disks:

IDE Channels:
channel 0 master: WD160 ... ATA disk with Mandriva
channel 0 slave: empty
channel 1: master: empty
channel 1: slave: empty
channel 2: master: SATA WD500... (Windows 7 here)
channel 2: slave: SATA ST350.... Mandriva here
channel 3: master: SATA ST... or here (not sure)
channel 3: slave: SATA DVD-ROM ....

I can Boot to Windows 7 on WD500 and I see all disks. But when I bood into ST350... Mandriva 2010 so it did not detected the ATA disk. I see only the SATA disks. Block devices listed by command blkid. I also checked /dev/ fomder for hd... but nothing. I also tried to boot the WD160.. Mandriva 2010 but this is the same (but not exactly the same). How is it? It started to boot so the ATA disk was found. It loaded some files from the WD160... and then it waited for detection of the disk starting with UUID=0877CB8-FB95... but unsuccessful. It halted the system as it cannot detect the disk. How is it it was not detected when the system files were loaded? Is there any way to solve this? Why Mandriva on ST350... loaded successfully but the one on WD160... not?

Some drives will fail to "cable select" if no jumpers are installed, put a jumper across the master pins then try.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Master" jumper will "freeze" PC before enter BIOS. I selected "Cable select" jumper. But nothing changed. I booted to Mandriva on SATA and I still see only the 3 SATA disks.

All disk disconnected except ATA, these are message I got on unsuccessful start of Mandriva 2010:

Loading ext4 module
Loading crc-t10dif module
Loading scsi_mod module
Loading sd_mod module
Loading libdata module
Loading ata_piix module
Loading ahci module
Loading ide-core module
Loading ide-disk module
Loading piix module
Loading pata_ccpi module
Loading ide-pci-generic module
Loading ata-generic module
waiting for /dev/sda5
waiting for /dev/sda7
cannot find resume device
cannot resolve resume device
mounting: root filesystem
mount: could not find filesystem /dev/root

Does this mean that the drivers of Mandriva 2010 doesn't support my motherboard? GA-MA770-DS3 (no revision number found on board) ? Maybe it's too modern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back