Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is this forum relatively dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedaver

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2001
US
Why is this forum relatively dead? With the increased emphasis on PMP and PM in the enterprise, I'm surprised to see the forum so slow. Should we post best practices and ideas and rip each other apart for conversation's sake?

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Greetings! Its perhaps because we Project Managers are busy with our baselines and scope changes...hahaha!

Ciao

James Keep, PMP
Crystal Reports(tm) Certified Consultant 8.5 (CRCC)
Authorized Crystal Engineer (ACE)
CMRC
Crystal Decisions Business Partner
Montreal, Qc, Canada

Maybe because pms have nothing really meaningful to say, i've done my best and fastest work at companies where there was no pm, oh glorious not to have to listen to their meaningless political management-speak every day, unhindered by their artificial self-serving constructs and free to create unfettered in the real world, as it was meant to be.

Maybe because we know everything we need to know about PM (or at least we think we do).

-------------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

On the technical forums you can post a specific question you need a specfic answer to. I'm a project manager and I have posted many questions on Tek-tips but rarely on Project Management. There's nothing you need to ask others, at least that they can help you with. Also sadly most people are brainwashed into structured/process-oriented approaches. The best book on configuration manager software is the sort of discussion that bleeds away my will to live.

Perhaps the answer is it is unsafe to discuss project management unless you are in the company of others and all of you are holding pints of beer.

Although I claim to be a programmer I have PM'd a few medium size projects in my time and I believe that although any reasonably intelligent, educated, creative, imaginative, meticulous person can learn the 'technical' tools (drawing up the project plan, brief, etc) the essence of being a good Project Manager is in the esoteric area of people management.

And as we all know but rarely admit this means physical intimidation, mental torture, bribery, sycophancy and other forms of sheer nastiness.

This is why we do not talk about Project Management unless we have to and our lawyers have made a good plea-bargain on our behalves (?).

[wink]

SteveGlo is right.

Anyone who has ever been on one of my projects knows I start the kickoff meeting by telling everybody "There are two kinds of projects: those that build your career and those that build your character."

Once they make the obvious (and correct) conclusion, I tell them the beatings will stop when morale improves.

Finally, I also like to point out that unless you are with NASA, project management isn't rocket science.

You guys are so funny.
Maybe it this forum is dead because no one knows about it. I didn't. I've asked a question on particular systems in the tech forums, only because most of the time, a tech is the only person thats gonna be able to answer me....
anyway, now that I've found this, I'm gonna have to come back more often, but I gotta agree with Maximizer up there...Its perhaps because we Project Managers are busy with our baselines and scope changes.....

... and, my pet peeve, wasting our time forcing Project to make pretty pictures for management.

ohhh, i have the SAME pet peeve...........too many chiefs.....not enough Indians :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back