Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is there never a Panasonic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

panasonicdude

Technical User
Jun 2, 2006
CA
Something to make you think. Why is never any help questions about Panasonic POS systems here? I think it is because it is the most reliable. What is your thoughts out there

Or another possibility is that no one uses them ?

I would guess that Micros and Aloha make up about 75% of the pos systems in use today. I would like to see a Panasonic system one of these days, would be good to see what else is out there. I switched from a 25 year old superdos system (that we had been using for 25 years) to Micros and have been for the most part very impressed. We have it at 6 locations and have had very few problems.

I've never heard of Panasonic POS so I did a google search to check it out and their web site is down. So 30 sec into Panasonic POS and I have a problem even seeing the product they're offering. Hehe. Sure this has nothing to do with directly with Panasonic POS, but I thought it was funny. I would have liked to see more if I could have.

Here was the first google result -

I also tried -

Both are down.

Tom

Could it also be that Micros and Aloha support is to expensive, so many users choose not to be on support and try to solve issues on their own? Or are these just older systems that they will not support? I guess I've often wondered why there are a lot of questions here that should be asked directly to the POS provider. None of my clients are left to solve problems are their own; If they have a question they call me directly and get an answer immediately. But that’s where the business size plays a factor; I have a small business deal directly and on a personal level with my clients.

Also Panasonics site is back up. ;)

Tom

In the 70's, Panasonic produced POS equipment for McDonalds and ERC POS, in the 80's Panasonic recruited dealerships in the US. The US POS dealer network at that time pretty much understood that 80% of their revenues came from the service department. PC's were just beginning their entry into the POS market. Panasonic made a reliable product but the software was a little stiff and it was all Eprom based (no computers with HD's). All went ahead smoothly until dealers realized that Panasonic POS was too reliable. It became hard to sell a maintenance contract when the equipment didn't break. Ironically it was their reliability that hurt them. Today Panasonic seems to be moving in a good direction, produce an open POS product platform that anyone can use.

Their hardware runs like the Energizer bunny. I haven't seen a software for their hard drive machines. Yes, McD's uses them or PAR for the most part but they use the dumb-terminal versions on Linux-based systems.
The 7000's were IRC daisy chain, and then the newer 7500's were Arcnet with arcnet hubs, then came the 9000's that had hard drives and ethernet based. They are expensive and hard for pos dealers to make sales on when up against clones.
I started out working on the 6500 series if anyone has seen that tank. The dealer I worked for in the early 90's put out alot of Panasonic, but when they became a PosiTouch dealer, then the only market became fast food chains like Dairy Queen and Wendy's.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back