Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is Sendmail V. 8.11.? Slooow

Status
Not open for further replies.

whanner

ISP
Jul 28, 2002
US
I reinstall Red Hat 7.2 from 6.? this laid down Sendmail
8.11. now when we check our mail it takes about 30 seconds just to connect. Once connected it checks and drops off quickly......any ideal what's going on there?

I think sendmail is getting a bum rap here. When you check your mail, the request comes in on port 110 (POP3). Sendmail only listens to port 25 (SMTP). I would be looking at your pop3 server or the connection in general. If this happens on outgoing mail then sendmail is more than likely doing reverse lookups or something.

ok I agree with that...I didn't mean to imply it was a version thing, bad description on my part.
I think it is doing extra security measures as well, Im just not sure what. I was hoping for a tweek in the sendmail.cf file.

Could u mention the exact errors u r getting from sendmail?
- Hemant
Networking and Systems Integration Group
Satyam Computer Services Ltd

there is no error. it just takes about 30 seconds before it starts pulling the mail back to outlook on the P.C.
its like the connection is a 9600 baud modem.
on the previous version it was quicker. I think that
was sendmail V 8.9.?

it sounds like your pop3 server ... which is nothing to do with sendmail.

sendmail does SMTP
ipopd does POP3

outlook receives mail as POP3, and sends as SMTP.

therefore if outlook is taking ages to _get_ mail it must be POP3 and therefore the ipopd (or equivalent)

I had to have some help getting that going....any suggestions on what I could check on the ipop3. I think you may be on to something here. when I send a mail the speed is normal.

A quick fix that I found is to insert the IP of the client using sendmail into your /etc/hosts file. That is a quick fix. The other is to set up a LOCAL DNS server. I am not good at DNS and had another guy set it up with windows workgroup updating. Sendmail works instantly and POP server just as fast. Hope this helps.

Walter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back