Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is my report not displaying LONG datatypes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

golyg

Programmer
Jul 22, 2002
US
I have one report, which is displaying everything correctly but now I realize that this other report is not displaying this particular field "Description" which is a LONG datatype. Its displaying the first letter but thats all.
I can't seem to find anything different with these 2 fields.

Thanks for the help.

I think, CR doesn't recognised LONG datatype. how u have connected to DB. must be direct connection. Try connecting through ODBC...it will work.

golyg,

Verify the database on the report which is truncating, and see if the problem is addressed.

Then right click the field in data explorer, and browse the data to check if the String (n) limit matches the length of the datatype in the database.

Naith

What type of information is in this LONG field? Seems odd for a Description an this could be the issue.

There is an internal floating point of 15 (i think..) and then the contents are moved to scientific notation and reveresed for display. Could be the conversion is bagging out.

Descriptions are typically String or Varchar

Cheers,

SurfingGecko
Home of Crystal Ease

The description field is a LONG, I guess, as it had been created long before i got here, they liked the fact that it could store more data than a string.

the field is coming from a view, i am not sure if that will help.

i am still trying to create a work around

thanks

I have created a datasource with the CR Oracle 8 driver called "CROR813.dll" and i can query the view and it returns the description but i do not know how i am going to use this datasource in my application.

any ideas?

thanks

This was the problem:

The user has the Oracle 9i client installed and the database is an Oracle 8 db.
The character set for Oracle 8 is set to US7ASCII but the character set for the client was something like "W8......" something like that.

so these 2 inconsistencies caused this problem....

This was the problem:

The user has the Oracle 9i client installed and the database is an Oracle 8 db.
The character set for Oracle 8 is set to US7ASCII but the character set for the client was something like "W8......" something like that.

so these 2 inconsistencies caused this problem....

Thanks for all the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back