Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

why is my Novell server slow 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jossyreal

ISP
Sep 25, 2002
US
hi all,
the server is a compaq proliant Server, 256 Mb RAM.
it is the server that is slow and not the Pcs.
I have emptied the cache of the server.
it is a novell netware 6 with sp2
whatever u need to help me let me know.

i hope to hear from you guys.

joe
CCNA, MCSA, MCP

Have you done any performance tuning to the server? novell has a tid on support.novell.com for tuning a netware 6 server to the environment. I bring this up because I know not too many people out there are aware of this and what it entails to tweak the server to make it run at its best performance.

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

With more than 10 years experience to share.

Hi Mark,

Any chance of you posting the link to this TID please.

I tried a search on Novells site for a tuning tid but came up blank.

Thanks

Ben

To run NetWare6sp2 on 256MB RAM, is really pushing it. You change performance tune the server till you are blue in the face, but if you don't have the memory it won't work.
MORE MEMORY!!

ditto what douglagm posted! if you have any user count at all and/or run java on this beast, get at least up to 512 if not a gig of RAM. I run at least a gig on our servers (NW5.1 & 6.5) I am amazed it runs at all w/256! My 6.5 server uses 351M just for NLM's. A typical 5.1 server here uses 195MB just for the NLM's.
Being short on RAM means the poor thing is caching out to disk - which is about 1000 times slower than RAM (on avg) RAM is cheap, time is $. Buy some memory. Please! :)

It could also have to do with your client settings if you're using IP but don't have the IP services configured or optimized.

For example, if your preferred protocol is IP, and both IPX and IP are on the workstation... but then you don't have SLP or DHCP configured to allow for proper location of services, your workstations will really struggle to locate using IP but eventually fail. Then it will kick over to IPX and work but it's very painful. Especially with how Windows is always refreshing that stuff.

I agree that 256 mb is a little low but I've run NW6 on less than that with no real performance problems when everything else is configured correctly.

back to my first note, a good way to test is to set the preferred protocol to IPX, or remove IP from the Novell bindings on the client and see if the problem goes away.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back