Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is my new DLT backup taking so

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverKorf

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2002
GB
I have installed an HP DLT VS80 (20-40Gb) backup tape drive on my Compaq ML350 server running Novell 6, but the backup is now taking over 24 hours, when it only took 5 hours using my DDS3 (12-24Gb) DAT drive ??

I have downloaded the latest firmware and Diagnostic tools from HP, which run OK, but still no improvement.

Any Thoughts,

S.

vs80 's are hideously slow no matter what the os
i've only tried one once and it went back

What backup software are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

How is the drive connected? scsi yes, but built in controller on server or an add-on PCI card?

- check your IRQ's to make sure there is no contention issue slowing you down. How is CPU during backup? If high, you probably have contention issues. That has been what killed backup setups I've seen in the past.

I've never used a DLT 20/40, but aren't they old as the hills? I can't imagine they would have very fast throughput. What is the SCSI specs on it? Is it a 50 pin wide connection?

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

that or the other gotchas:
force 5MBPS on the cable, allow disconnect, sync.
make the tape the only device on the cable, termed.

I remember certain cache issue with arcserve:
had to manually tune buffers cause netware would feed
blocks faster than the tape could take it,
so retries kicked in......

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back