Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is my network so slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevsel

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2002
GB
Hello people

Can someone tell me why after installing a W2K3 server file access from this new server is slow slow. The origonal NT4 server has been removed and all the clients are running XP Pro SP2

Check your network properties to make sure the speed and duplexing is correct.
I have run into Cisco switches and machines not auto detecting correctly and it makes the connection very slow, drops packets, thing like that.

So are you saying then that its best to change it from auto to 100mb full instead?

As long as you can have the switch changed to 100mb full or Gig full, I would also change your NIC property to the same. It can make a big difference.

What do you mean by "slow file access"? Do you mean shares?

-DJ

Sorry for appearing a bit thick, what do you mean NIC properties (I know what NIC is) I mean what properties also the slowness is not necessarily shares but word documents on the server

Look up "disable SMB signing"

Also check your "flow control" settings if you have them in the NIC properties, toggle on or off and see if it makes a difference.

Has your cabling been tested with a cat 5 certifying tester. bad cables will slow you down.

The NIC properties I am talking about are the ones you see when you go to properties on the network connection at the top. Its where you set your speed, ie 10mb, 100mb, full, or half duplex.

-DJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back