Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is my database slow after splitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamek1

Technical User
Mar 29, 2002
NL
Hi,

I have build an application for administrating customers and related projects for an consultancy firm. I works fine, I have split the appliction in an front and back-end part with the wizard (access 97, SR-2)

The front-end is put on the computer at the desk (Windows 98), the back-end at the server (windows NT). There are two or three simultanious users.

Working with the system is slow, very slow and the users are not very satisfied.

Does any-one know what causes this problem? Or what I can do to put up some speed?

Thanks

1. Access files are faster if they are not split when used by using a single user.

2. In a multiuser environment, the network is usually the bottleneck. Putting a Front End on Clients reduces network
load and therefore reduces contribution to the problem.

3. More users updating the file decreases performance.

4. Maintainance is a good reason to split a database.

To Increase performance you can try any of the following

1. Ensure tables are properly indexed
2. Improve network infrastructure to increase throughput (swithces instead of hubs and definitely be at 100Mbs or faster)
3. Use better computers as workstations
4. Use a different Backend such as SQL server
5. Read books about multi-user environments... Sybex Access books by Litwin, Getz and Gilbert are excellent (ISBN 0-7821-2371-6)

here is one idea too... every time the user does some thing it has to re-establish the connetion to the server with the backend... make a dummy table in the backend called keepalive or some thing... make a form that is loaded on startup... and make it hidden, that form should be a bound form with a field in the keep alive... that way it maintains the connection to the server and doesn't have to reconnect each time... experiment with this befor implementing it... but from what i can read into what your saying, it sounds to me like a slow network... 10 base running with a hub... that how i develop with, and it's slow as any thing...

--Junior Junior1544@yahoo.com
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

I have run into this in the past with both NT and Novell.
In both cases it was the network settings.
In the event it MIGHT be the split, establish both the front and back on your pc but in different directories. Re-establish your links and run the app. If there is a slowdown, something in the split is wrong, if not, contact your local IS guru and have him/her walk thru the connections and file settings.
A 100mb is nice, but I have run 100meg+ split apps with >25 users and once the network was properly set, it hummed.

Best of luck and let us know jow it turns out. If it is the network and your IS people can't help, check out another forum and they more than likely can.

Rhonin

Hi.

2 or 3 users? It's probably the network.

Our users prefer W2K, but we still have two machines with W98 and no apparent problems.

Once a form is open on a client box, don't close it--leave it open if you can.

Use Pentium IV's with at least 256 mb ram for each user/client.

Use a real dedicated server for the network. If you can't, then use a dedicated hard drive. Gus Brunston :cool: An old PICKer, using Access2000. I manage Suggestions welcome. padregus@attbi.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back