Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is identica query returning different results for different users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dspitzle

Programmer
Sep 9, 2003
US
I've worked with MS Access since 1996, and I've never run into this problem before, so I could use some suggestions on where to look. I've got a database which contains a standard form-based parameter query (simplified for purpose of my question):

PARAMETERS [Forms]![FORM_NAME]![ID] Short;
SELECT TABLE_NAME.*
WHERE TABLE_NAME.[ID] = [Forms]![FORM_NAME]![ID];

As of July 9, the query was running fine for everybody. Since July 15, the main users of the database are getting blank results from the query; I can date this change based on reports saved as RTF files on those dates, with July 9 reports being populated with data, and July 15 ones being empty. The puzzler, however, is that I can still get the expected results from the query when I run it logged in as myself. I've traced the problem for my users to a failure of the form-based parameter to resolve correctly; simply substituting the appropriate record ID for the parameter reference allows the query to run correctly for my users.

Because we're using Citrix and I've tested it with all of us logged into the same server, I can guarantee that we are accessing the exact same files, and we are running the exact same install of Access, so version creep or machine-specific differences would appear to be out. I should also clarify that none of the Access-specific user management/security features are in use, so the only differentiation between users is our network logins and any stored personal settings, and I don't believe Access cares about the former as long as you have permission to connect to the files.

So, my question is what, if anything, could alter the behavior of MS Access form-based parameter queries based on some user-specific setting? I'm thinking security settings a la the Internet Explorer settings that can sometimes hork Access, but I don't know what settings could produce this behavior in particular.

Sadly, I can't edit the title, so please envision an additional l at the end of "identica

Here's some even further weirdness. I had a brainstorm that I could use the Filter property of the report to achieve the effect I'm looking for. So, I removed the parameter from the query and filtered the report so the record ID = the value from the form. And of course, it works for me, but not for my users.

I got nothing for sure... switching to kitchen sink mode...

What happens is you ensure that each user uses a different copy of the front end?

I'm not sure what effect that would have, but there has only been one user logged into the database each time I've been testing this, so it doesn't seem to be a conflict over accessing the data or anything similar.

It really should have absolutely nothing to do with it especially if there were never concurrent users. I would try it anyway.

It would also be a good idea to take a look at the patches installed on the server between the 9th and the 15th. I cringe at the thought but you could try a restore point.

Sadly, I can't look at the patches, as I don't manage the server :( In any case, there's still a problem of why some users would get valid results and others wouldn't when running on utterly identical patches.

Yes, that leads me to believe it has nothing to do with Access. It could have something to do with the way that the server handles memory allocation or caches the user interface.

The question for the server admin would be what has changed in patches or permissions for the users in that time period. If you explain the problem to the admin, if you are lucky he will figure it out. If not, you will probably see the source of the problem when you look through the patches.

Another test is to put the Access DB on a client computer. Then have yourself and other users try it. If it works, then it is a Server / Citrix problem (possibly permissions on the local files). If it doesn't work then it has something to do with permissions or Group Policy... something they get that you don't or vice versa.

There is another possibility... That the server somehow supports differenct installs of programs. Maybe one version is patched but antother isn't. I just don't know enough about citrix.

Hmm, good point. Since all of the personal settings should apply to a local machine the same as to a Citrix login, that shouldn't make a difference, so if it does then Citrix seems to be the responsible party. Unfortunately none of the affected users have Office installed locally (since they use Citrix!), but I may be able to swing something...

lameid:
There is another possibility... That the server somehow supports differenct installs of programs. Maybe one version is patched but antother isn't. I just don't know enough about citrix.

Citrix is essentially just a virtual server tool. Since I and my users have been logged into the same server every time, we're using absolutely identical versions of Access and Windows. The only differences would be things we bring along in our user profiles, which as I said above should also apply to logins on local machines.

Maybe the citrix sessions are not being reset properly?
Boot the server?

Well, I just had one of my users log into a machine with MS Access installed locally, and the query ran correctly. So we've got this problem narrowed down to something user-specific that is only occurring in Citrix. It's also something that occurred between July 9 and July 15.

I've still got nothing here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back