Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is desktop hanging when right clicking? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
I have a strange one... for some reason just starting yesterday, when I right click on anything, especially on my desktop, my cursor turns to the hour glass (waiting) and that's it. Nothing else works. Only the three finger salute and shutdown. It shows nothing running in the application area and I tried killing various tasks in the system area without anything making a difference. Only a reboot resolves it. As long as I stay away from the right click, everything seems OK. But as soon as I use it (and I do quite often) Boingo! Hung. I'm even using startup cop pro to suppress much of what normally started at boot time.

Any thoughts as to why and/or what to do to resolve?

Thanks

It's likely some program that has integrated itself into the right click function after installation. Things like WinRar, Winzip, virus scanners and many others add options to the right click menu (depending on the context you're in).

Did you recently install anything before this problem started??

Not a bad idea to do a memory scan and a malware scan before you start thrashing about. Google MBAM-SETUP.EXE and it's the first match. Install/Run/Remove Selected/Reboot.

Yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards an add-in program, as mentioned by goombawaho. It's possible to be hardware related, of course, but I'm thinking more like goomb here.

And more specifically, I'm wondering if you have a firewall or security app of some sort that's battling with one of the add-in programs, and that's the cause. If you have any firewall or security program that has a program guard/controller included, you might want to open that security app, and see if there are any files it's blocking. Program guards are a great tool to have, but they can be a major pain at times, as well.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

The Utility mentioned by "Freestone" often fixes up these type of problems.

System Restore is another possibility.

Have you checked from Safe Mode, or from another user in Normal Mode?

Do you have a mapped drive that has been disconnected or unavailable? If so that would cause a hang up.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Gentlemen;

Thanks a million For all your suggestions. I did try the ShellXView utility as reference by a couple and it led me to a recently installed program that linked into the mouse handler. Once I removed that utility and rebooted things appear to be back to normal.

This one took quite a while to resolve. Without your advice I would still be struggling with it.

Happy New Year to you all.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back