Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is Crossover Slower

Status
Not open for further replies.

dttusa

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2005
US
We recently made a change to the network moving all servers to
a data closet. We have accessibility using a crossover cable to the main cascaded stack.

I have about 6 Nortel 450-24t switches, 3 in a stack, and several located around a building. I have connectivity using crossover cables as opposed to MDX or MDA connections.

Users were complaining about sluggishness on the network. I downloaded Netperf, and discovered that using crossover cable between switches reduces speeds from 96 MB down to 8 MB.

Inter-nortel, Nortel / 3com , swapping cables and switches, all produce the same results.

What is the difference?

Why is a crossover so much slower?

Ok, here are some possible ways to link 450s, I was unable to guess which ones you tried.

1) the Cascade Cables that loop down the back of the 450 run at 2.5 gig, bidirectionally in a ring

2) the MDA slots come in 1 gig fiber and 1 gig copper, as well as 100 meg copper and 10/100 copper. At best they will be 5 times slower than Cascade Cables. They are point to point with no redundancy.

3) the 24 ports of 10/100 copper in the main switch (or in a 100/100 MDA) will be 50 times slower than Cascade Cables and 10 times slower than gig ports.

If at all possible, use the cascade cables to make stacks of 450's.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Opps - I meant to say that 10/100 cables use 1/2+3/6

Pins 4/5 are unused to avoid problems with our telephone friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back