Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is connection status showing 26,400 bps for 56k modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a Dell PC with an Aztech MDP3900V-U modem installed. My internet connection status consistenly shows as connected at 26,400 bps. If this is a 56K modem shouldn't I be showing a higher bps connection. I worked with Dell tech support on this issue, but never really got a clear answer beyond a problem with my phone line. I have connected Mac laptops to my phone line and gotten much higher bps reading. Is it just the way PC report status is different from Mac, could my call waiting be an issue with this modem, or caller id software from SW Bell? Any suggestions or answers?

there are 4 56k standards. modems using different protocols do not always talk well together, The Apple uses a pure v.90 protocol usually. and seems to get along with the modem you call.

The Aztek is a K56Flex and v.90 Winmodem

it may be worth while to get the lastest drivers and firmware.

(If the Apple Modems show over 53k, the software is not reporting the connection speed, but rather the serial speed) I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Maybe your the modem default setting for speed is limited. you may have to set the limit to at least 115200 bps to get more speed.

I encounter this problem before when I get my modem in IBM PC to another PC.

As I saw your modem should be USB type...right? it will do some emulation and sometime it emulate to a "standard modem" and it limit the speed to 9600 at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back