Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is a 'System Reserved' on an extra disk 'critical to recovery'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all,
Brief history of this issue--I just re-install Svr 2008 R2 on an SSD, it had been previously on a hard drive.

I disconnected that old drive, re-installed fresh on an SSD drive. Did all the roles, features, reboots, updates, more reboots. Now I want to perform a backup.

So then I re-connected the old mechanical drive and rebooted. Now when I go to set up Backup and target to the old drive (I unchecked the old drive so it's contents are not part of the backup), it says it can't (or warns heavily) save the backup on that drive because it's on the same disk as part of the operating system.

What???

I looked at the diak-manager and yes, there is a "System Reserved" 100mb partition that had been there from that disks prior life as the OS system disk. But now there's a Boot folder and some files that are dated the very minute I rebooted after reconnecting this completely dis-associated drive.

Now somehow it's an integral part of the OS? How and why did this happen? I understand that that partition *used* to be integral when that disk held the OS, but now that disk should be looked upon as just extra storage--it has nothing whatsoever to do with the OS. I disconnected it and I can still boot fine. But if I reconnect and try to delete those files on the System Reserved, it says they're in use by the OS.

This is frustrating, can anyone please explain this?
Thanks,
--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back