Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is 976 denied on all NPAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdm5000

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2009
US
I saw somewhere else on here that it was common to find DENY 976 in your programming. Any particular reason this prefix is always banned?

Ahhh

That makes sense. Moreso when I consider our PBX is probably 15-20 years old...

i have never seen a npa+976 billed as a 900 number.. but someone thought they were at one time.. i have seen deny 976 as well but most of that was from idiots looking at another switch and thinking they knew what they were doing..

we do deny npa+555 because our information billing was 40K per month because people didn't want to google numbers

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Two cents from a 'good' reference document I found:

900 and 976 Numbers
I often find that people get these two digit strings confused in their design. One is a NPA (area
code) and one is a NXX (Exchange). The 900 NPA is classified by NANPA as a "Easily
Recognizable Code" with a non-geographic assignment. It is used for premium toll charge
services. Meaning, that a special toll charge is applied to any number you call that has a 900
NPA. There are cases where certain 900 numbers need to be allowed for business purposes.
However, as a general rule you should block these numbers. If there is a 900 number that a
user requires access to, then create a specific pattern (full 10-digit) for this user and leverage
FAC to control access. You could create a custom line COR, but that doesn't scale so well.
Usually if one person needs access, you will find the whole department does.

Now, 976 is an actual exchange (NXX) that is a reserved central office code which is used for
various services. Most notably, 976 as an exchange is used for premium toll charge services
within a given NPA.

Others to block (recommended July, 2009)
24[2-6]: Bahamas and Barbados
26[48]: Anguilla and Antigua
284: British Virgin Islands
34[05]: US Virgin Islands and Cayman Islands
441: Bermuda
473: Grenada
649: Turks and Caicos Islands
767: Dominica
78[47]: St. Vincent and Grenadines and Puerto Rico
8[02]9: Dominican Republic
86[78]: Trinidad, Tobago, St. Kitts, and Nevis
876: Jamaica
939: Puerto Rico

I ran the following command on my PBX (Meridian Option 61C):

>ld 90
ESN000
REQ prt
CUST 0
FEAT net
TRAN ac1
TYPE npa
NPA <enter>

and I got pages and pages and pages of NPAs with 976 denied. Is there any way to remove the DENY statement from all the NPAs with a single command or do I have to remove it from each of the thousand or so NPA individually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back