Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is 97 front-end much faster than 2k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asp3232

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
US
Hi,

I've got an Access97 DB that I've split into frontend/backend databases, which works fine. Since about half of the people accessing the db are on Access2k, I converted the frontend to 2k also, so both types of users can operate natively (the backend is in 97 format, of course).

However, the 97 performance is MUCH faster than the 2k version. For example, on a form with combo boxes, the combo takes about 2 seconds to pull down on the 97 version, but can take up to 30 seconds on the 2k version.

The backend is on a network drive, which accounts for some of the performance lag, but I'd expect the network issues to be the same for either frontend. Also, the DB size is about 700k for the frontends, and 300k for the backend, so it's not a big one...

Any thoughts? It's really bordering on unusable for the 2k version...

Thanks!

asp

This issue has been around for a very long time. Use Use Groups>computer>databases and do the following search:A97 faster than A2K. Look for the thread containing 63 articles. This should give you all the information you might need.

The fast answer is that A97 has always been faster than A2k. It is faster than A2K2 also.

Why? Because it is. MS to this day will not approach the topic. Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

You can have different versions on Access running on the same machine. Might I suggest you put Ac97 on the A2K machines. Might sound like a terrible solution BUT 2 sec to 30 sec is a mighty big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back