Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why I can't install AutoCad2000 into window XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumble101

ISP
Dec 15, 2002
US
Okay....I have an AutoCad R2000 that work fine from desktop computer using ME O.S....but not XP. When I installed into my XP laptop it said wrong Operating System.

I noticed in AutoCad Program disc/ folders, under the SYSTEM FOLDER, they have all other folders called W98, NT, but not XP...could this be the problem?
If so...where can I copy or download from?
Many thanks in an advance.

Here's how to solve the install.

Insert ACAD2000 CD.
Exit out of the automatic install.
Open explorer and create a shortcut of te setup.exe file on the desktop.
Right-click shortcut and select program compatability.
Select Win95
Close and run setup
You may need to go online to re-register-good luck

Thank for your reply jschreyer...

I created the shortcut onto my destop like you suggested...but when I right click...I don't see that selection: program compatability then select w95.

All I got from my right click from that short cut are:
Open
Run As
Scan with anti virus
Send to
Cut
Copy
Creat short cut
Delete
Rename
Property

I don't know what to do....this XP window is driving me nuts.

This is something I found on the Autodesk site.

Issue
There are occasions when Autodesk® software products may experience installation problems after failed installs or uninstalls of other Autodesk products. In these cases, it is recommended that you completely remove all Autodesk products from the system and then attempt the new installation on the cleaned system.

Solution
This solution explains how to uninstall your Autodesk software products and remove any remnants of these products from the system. The end result is a clean system on which you can install your new Autodesk product.

Important: Back up any existing customized Autodesk files before implementing the following procedures.

Uninstall all Autodesk products

From the Start Menu (Windows), click Settings > Control Panel.
In Control Panel, right-click Add/Remove Programs and click Open on the shortcut menu.
In the Add/Remove Programs Properties dialog box, select the Autodesk product to be uninstalled and click Add/Remove (for Windows® 2000, click Change/Remove; for Windows XP Professional, click Remove).
Click Yes when prompted to confirm you want to completely remove the selected application and all of its components.
If you are prompted to remove shared files, click the Yes to All option, and then click Yes when prompted for confirmation to proceed.
After the uninstall procedure is complete, click OK.
Select the next Autodesk product to be uninstalled, and repeat steps 3 to 6.
Repeat the above process until all Autodesk products have been uninstalled from the system.

The uninstall procedure for some Autodesk products requires you to reboot the computer when the uninstall is complete. If this occurs, reboot the computer as instructed and then return to the Add/Remove Programs dialog box after the reboot.

After the last Autodesk product has been uninstalled, reboot the computer.
Remove any remaining Autodesk files

In Windows Explorer, delete the installation folder for each Autodesk product that was uninstalled in the previous procedure.
Delete the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\ folder.

Note: If your operating system is configured to store the Program Files folder on a drive other than C, the path listed in the previous step is on that drive.
Remove any remaining entries for Autodesk products from the Windows registry

Warning!
Problems caused by improperly editing the Windows registry could render your computer operating system unusable. Microsoft has provided a wealth of critical information you need to know about the registry in the Microsoft Knowledge Base at
Use the Microsoft® Registry Editor only at your own risk and only after backing up the registry as well as the system.dat and user.dat files as outlined in ARTICLE-ID: Q132332 "How to Back Up the Registry" in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. Additional information about the registry is also contained in the Help topics in the Microsoft Registry Editor.

Log on to the workstation as a member of the local Administrators group.
On the Start menu (Windows), click Run.
In the Run dialog box, enter regedit in the Open box and click OK to start the Registry Editor.
In the the Registry Editor, locate the following subkeys and delete them:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Autodesk

Exit the Registry Editor.
Reboot the computer.
Each of the previous Autodesk product installations has now been removed from the system

Before reinstalling the Autodesk programs:

Use end task to end any virus-checking programs; disabling a virus-checking program from the system tray may not be sufficient. Virus checking programs may block certain activities (access to the registry, adding/removing/updating DLL files, and so on) that are seen as suspicious, even though these activities are common when installing or removing programs.

Several anti-virus programs can be disabled by right-clicking on their taskbar icon and clicking Disable on the shortcut menu. For more information about disabling your anti-virus software, refer to the vendor for that software.

Important: It is important that you not only disable the anti-virus software but also use end task to end the anti-virus software.

To verify an anti-virus program is not still running in the background as a TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident Program):

For Window 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me:

Press CTRL + ALT + DEL.
In the Close Programs window, select the anti-virus program and click End Task.
For Windows NT®, Windows 2000, and Windows XP:

Press CTRL + ALT + DEL.
Click Task Manager.
In Task Manager, Processes tab, select the process for the anti-virus program and click End Process.
You are now ready to install your new Autodesk products on the clean system.

Thank borgunit:
Hm....I just bought this laptop...there is no autodesk installed into that laptop...therefore it has a clean system. So that autodesk website suggestion doesn't apply to me.....

The problem I have....is that I ca't even get Acad2000 to install...once I click the SETUP.EXE...I kept on getting that prompt...wrong O.S.

Let me ask, what is the exact prompt? Also, are you logged on as administrator?

I've had the same problem, and jschreyer has the right idea. AutoDesk does not support Acad2000 on XP, but XP can fool it.
The trick is to run both setup and the ACAD using the compatibility scheme - but you can't set compatibility on the shortcut - you can only set it on an actual .exe file.

Right-click setup.exe, select Properties, and then select the Compatibility tab - you can set it for 95, 98 or 2000. Setup should run fine. Then, do the same thing for the actual app's exe file. We do this on local installs as well as network licensed versions, works every time.
Good luck -
gh

Thanks Glennho, right clicking on the setup.exe and then selecting the Compatibility sound very reasonable as opposed to the shortcut. I'll try that when I get home.

Question, you said right click on the Setup.exe and choose the desire compatibility....and when that is completed....do the same for the Actual App's exe. But I thought the Setup.exe IS the actual application. You mean they are different from one another? If it is...what is actually the name/file of the Acutal App. exe? Yites....now I'm lost.

Setup.exe is the app that installs AutoCAD. It needs to be run in compatibility mode.

Once Setup has run, and AutoCAD is installed, the actual app is called Acad.exe. It needs to be run in compatibility mode as well.

regards -

- gh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back