Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

why I can't download IOS to router via ftp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwanthome

Technical User
Mar 9, 2003
CN
I can upload IOS to ftp server,but I can't download
26t02#copy flash:c2600-is-mz.120-21.bin ftp://test:test@10.18.6.7
Address or name of remote host [10.18.6.7]?
Destination filename [c2600-is-mz.120-21.bin]?
Writing c2600-is-mz.120-21.bin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5100060 bytes copied in 21.419 secs (242860 bytes/sec)
26t02#dir
Directory of flash:/

1 -rw- 7718692 <no date> c2600-is-mz.121-18.bin
2 -rw- 5100060 <no date> c2600-is-mz.120-21.bin

16777216 bytes total (3958336 bytes free)
26ct02#copy ftp://test:test@10.18.6.7//c2500-i-l.113-11a.bin flash:
Destination filename [c2500-i-l.113-11a.bin]?

then CLI will have no response.
any comment will appreciated! thanks.

What message do you get when you try to download ? does it timeout..That message we be more useful ..

Normskin.

Have you tried putting a filename in after the flash: command? e.g.

copy ftp://test:test@10.18.6.7//c2500-i-l.113-11a.bin flash:c2500-i-l.113-11a.bin

Try that. It should work the other way too though IIRC.

thanks,a CCIE told me:
it seems like this bug: CSCdv70284.

Interesting.
On a side note, unless you've patched your IOS with bug fix CSCds46280, tftp does NOT work with IOS images over 16MB in size, and the suggested solution is to use FTP instead!

Note: IOS Images from 12.1T upwards are likely to be at least 15MB or larger in size.

Hi,

this could be a FTP server issue. Have you checked the permissions for file access. You obviously would need both write and read to do what you are trying to do.

Is there a reason you want FTP over tftp? There are very good FREE tftp servers out there..

you can try this one.

thanks,

Lee

brycec,

Are you refering to the cisco tftp server. that is where the real limitation is. The tftp server that I posted a link to (tftp32) has no limitation on file size. I have upgraded 6509's that had file sizes in the 18-20meg range with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back