Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

why ext 221? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

delos1111

Instructor
Aug 29, 2007
US
Does anyone know ehy Norstar always starts off using ext. 221 instead of lest say 200 or 100? Why 221?

i believe its 21 at 2 digit and when you go to 3 digit it inserts a 2 for 4 it inserts 22...21 is the default on startup so would be 221 and 2221 and 22221..all defualts can be changed

Except it can not be changed into the 100 group. Or can it?

Newer software (R4.0 & higher?) allows you to do a STARTUP when first installing a system and gives the option of renumbering the system to pretty much anything you want. Our office BCM is numbered starting with 100.

Brian Cox

I don't know about STARTING with the 100 range, but you can change all your extentions to the 100 range as long as you change the CALL PARK LEAD DIGIT from 1 to something else.

Remember, you can only perform a **startup in the first 15 minutes of the phone system powering up. If it has been over 15 minutes, you will have to power cycle the phone system again.

If starting at 100 then how would I change the Call Prak lead digit to lets say "7"?

Nortel starts their DN's with 2xx because 1xx is used for long distance dialing. If a user has a prime line enabled, then picking up the phone to dial an extension beginning with 1-and not pressing the intercom button-would access the long distance carrier.

Good answer deelee74. You're right, but I would assume that would interfere only in routing, not with prime line.

Here's a star anyway.

How about this questions regarding a virtual mailbox ext.

We need a MB ext. that answer calls and takes message during the day but then needs to be callforwarded to an actual ext. during the night.

Can this be done?

Yes, it can be changed to the 100 range as I found out when an insurance company insisted on the DNs matching the DIDs.

As was mentioned, call park prefix had to be changed.

The Voicemail/callpilot/flash all use DN's/mailboxes 10 100 1000 or 12 102 1002 are permanently assigned and cannot be changed. also ext's from 11-19 111-119? have pre-assigned purposes ( I cannot remember what they are now but a search of threads should show something.) I Had to change the DN Assignments for one customer to get ext 19 to work for them.

----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back