Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why doesn't my CD-player work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHairedHat

Programmer
Nov 2, 2001
NL
Linux detects it, I can install it from the CD, but when I type CD /DEV/HDB it doesn't work!!!

If your cdrom is /dev/hdb try doing:

#mkdir /cdrom
#mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
#cd /cdrom
#ls

basically making a directory 'cdrom' in the root directory then mounting the CDrom drive there then going there and doing an ls. You should bear in mind that /DEV/HDB is *no* the same as /dev/hdb.

Let us know :)
fortytwo
will@hellacool.co.uk

Hi,

The 'files' in /dev are an interface to devices and 'cd /dev/hdb' has no meaning - in any event /dev/hdb is a 'file' not a directory. Under the linux virtual filesystem everything is represented as a file/directory somewhere under the root '/'. So, to access files on a CD drive you would mount the device at a mount point in the directory tree of your choice - basically as per fortytwo's answer above. You might have to specify the filesystem type (iso9660) though :

mount /dev/hdb -t iso9660 /mnt/cdrom

Incidentally, if you end up wanting to play audio cds, etc., these do NOT need to be mounted. You just configure the player to access the device directly.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back